Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Adult allegy testing years after Anaphylactic Shock

(5 Posts)
Sallypoo Mon 28-Jul-08 16:12:13

Hi all,

DH had Anaphylactic Shock when he was a toddler. It was to fish (not shellfish). I've also seen him react to nuts.

From what I can understand he's never had any testing, doesn't want any - not sure why. He doesn't carry any addrenelin should anything go wrong....

Now we are parents, of a DS who is being weaned I would like to introduce him to as wide a range of foods as possible, although I haven't yet decided whether to hold back on those things that are known to have a higher risk of reaction....

However, I would at some stage like to have fish in the house for myself and DS, and so would really like DH to be 'tested' so I know exactly what he is allergic to and what he isn't.

DH is 35 and in the 15 years we've been together has never had any seafood nor nuts. We've had close shaves where we've unforetunately been to peoples and they've cooked Thai for instance.... but I sit there afraid to drink in case I have to make a dash to A&E!

So, does anyone know what testing would be after such a severe reaction? I'm guessing pin prick tests are out! Would like to know so I can try and persuade DH that it's not going to be a traumatic experience....

Thanks

Psychomum5 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:28:04

I had a major reaction at the beginning of this year, and then was finally referred for allergy testing. I was sent to an immunologist as severe reactions such as mine, and what sounds like your DH's, involve your immune system.

they gave me blood tests and also skin prick tests and I have been found to be allergic to all dairy products (cows milk and goats milk based), apples, tree pollen, grass pollen, cats, dogs, rabbits and house dust mite.

the cows milk showed up in bloods, the others were all thro the skin pricks. none of the tests are traumatic, and when they find what your alergy is like they then issue you with daily anti-histamines and also an epi-pen if they think your reactions are severe enough (which mine are).

it is far far better to know what you might react to, and have the appropiate meds then suffer in silence as your DH does. so far he has clearly been lucky but that may not always be the case, and you may also not be close enough to a hospital to guarantee a rapid enough journey!

also, it would be helpful regarding your DC's as, altho the specific allergy is not certian to be carried on, allergic tendencies are. three of mine have milk issues too, and also meds issues (I am alos allergic to certain antibiotics!)

good luck in persuading him.

Sallypoo Tue 29-Jul-08 07:30:38

Hi Psychomum,

Thanks very much for your response. I'm sorry to here about your reaction, I'm sure it was very traumatic. It is good though, that you now know what you are allergic too.

I'm suprised that they gave you skin prick tests after a severe reaction. I would of thought this was very risky? Were you OK?

I've had the skin prick tests too. Allergic to grass & tree pollen, spores, cats & dogs! The hospital I went to for testing didn't offer me food allergy testing unless I took a piece of eat food with me, which is pretty useless.

I think DH is nervous about needles. Can you tell me how much blood was taken for the blood tests and how long that procedure lasted?

I've already spoken to the GP about allergies - she explained that DS will have a higher risk of being atopic, but won't necessarily have the same allergies as us. He already has had two forms of eczema, and sneezes like a trooper! So far though, he's not reacted to any of the foods I've introduced, although I think he's intolerant to cow's milk like his mum.

However, that is the extent of the info we've received. I am using a list of foods at the front of the Annabel Karmel book to work out what food I might want to exclude from his diet, although there is also this train of thought now that exclusion could also be harmful!

But anyway, please do tell me about the blood tests. It would be great if DH could have some prawns or scampi in his diet.... He is missing out on EFAs etc, which I'm sure can't be good for him.

tatt Tue 29-Jul-08 08:20:43

strange that the male reaction to allergies often seems to be denial!

Anyone who has had an anphylactic reaction in the past should be tested. Some allergies can be outgrown. If not outgrown personally I wouldn't be happy without an epipen. It's especially risky if you ever fly anywhere. The average gp (and even a poorly trained consultant or two) will feed you guff about the risks of using an epipen. They are really tiny and don't compare to the risk of death. The main risk is an easily reversible sore finger if you put the needle in it by mistake.

Skin prick tests involve a very small amount of allergen so hospitals will normally do them, whatver the history. They have all the facilities at hand to treat if there is a severe reaction but normally it doesn't get beyond a large red bump. It is possible just to have a blood test (quantity depends how many tests they want to do, normally a small syringe). You can ask for "magic cream" - a local anaesthetic - for the blood tests and for an antihistamine once the tests are over. This isn't always offered routinely but do ask for it (or take your own and check when its OK to take it), the bumps are itchy.

For fish they may ask you to take a small sample of the fish you want tested for skin prick tests, that happened at one clinic we went to. You may want to check with the anaphylactic society before you go what blood tests for fish should be available as a routine (sometimes tests are available but the consultants don't know about them!)

As for the EFA - think its flaxseed oil that veggies have. Organic milk also has some.

tatt Tue 29-Jul-08 17:20:57

Something that might encourage your husband to get tested. Sorry that it's the mail but it's quite a sensible article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1038817/How-prawn-salad-Royal-Ascot-nearly-kill ed-TV-news-beauty-Kate-Silverton.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now