Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

This holiday - beware the MOSQUITO

(12 Posts)
Quattrocento Wed 23-Jul-08 23:17:09

You would not believe it but I spent a day and a night of my holiday in hospital following an extreme allergic reaction to a mosquito bite.

It went beyond a hard red infected lump (my normal reaction) that lasts a couple of weeks. I'm talking a football sized weal. A massive inflated ball. Someone did actually scream when they saw me. It was not funny.

So please do take creams and potions on holiday with you and if you do get bad lumps when bitten, it's worth checking with your GP as to whether to take an anti-histamine with you.

Here's a useful site:

"http://www.beyondallergy.com/skin-allergies/mosquito-bite.php"

Califrau Wed 23-Jul-08 23:19:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blueskythinker Wed 23-Jul-08 23:20:59

Where exactly where you bitten?

Country & body site please.

blueskythinker Wed 23-Jul-08 23:22:11

(excuse the bad spelling blush)

Quattrocento Wed 23-Jul-08 23:22:26

Indeed

Sorry, rubbish link. Try this:

www.beyondallergy.com/skin-allergies/mosquito-bite.php

And if you are going somewhere exotic, then remember anti-malarials too.

Carmenere Wed 23-Jul-08 23:24:20

You have all my sympathy Q, I have had terrible allergic reactions to bites, I never go anywhere without an arsenal of anti-histimines and repellents ect.

Quattrocento Wed 23-Jul-08 23:29:17

France - not exotic at all

Forehead just above the eyebrow. Gravity made the infection travel down. One eye closed completely, the other was not good. Side of face mahoosive.

This is such a trivial little thing which caused so much difficulty. Felt dreadful. Out of action for longer than fannying around with medical service (thank god it was France. They BELIEVE in medical care there). Was not allowed to drive until eyes fully open (five days).

Beware the mosquito.

blueskythinker Wed 23-Jul-08 23:29:36

Sorry, as an allergy sufferer, you have my sympathy too.

Where, where, where???

blueskythinker Wed 23-Jul-08 23:36:33

X post. Sounds awful. Just back from France, and I was bitten by a flying queen ant. Nowhere near as dramatic as yours though.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 23-Jul-08 23:38:35

Crikey, Quattro how dreadful.

QuintessentialShadows Wed 23-Jul-08 23:50:05

Quattro - funnily (actually not) France is the WORST place for mozzie bites. French mosquitos actually set off my allergies. With big red, and yellow oozing mahoooooosive lumpy bites. Not even mosquito bites in India was worse (and I did not even take malaria profylactics)

I sympathise with you.

Beauregard Thu 24-Jul-08 00:02:38

I was bitten some years ago on my knee.I must have reacted badly to it because my knee became so swollen and red i had real difficulty walking.It was so damn hot too.
Sympathy Quattro.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now