Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hobnobs

(8 Posts)
snozmum Tue 22-Jul-08 20:05:48

Has anyone had a reaction to hob nobs? A friend's toddler comes up in an instant rash when he eats them and goes really hot. Any ideas?

BlueBumedFly Wed 23-Jul-08 16:01:11

Tricky one, there isn't a lot in Hob Nob to be allergic too, if fact they are on the Allergy Buddies suggested packed lunch food list (my dd is severely allergic to nuts and allergy buddies is a wonderful programme).

I take it he has chocolate on other things? Oats perhaps? I have never heard of an Oat allergy but it is possible. Why don't you email United Biscuits and see if any other reports have been made?

forevercleaning Wed 23-Jul-08 16:06:04

oh, never heard of this one, and literally just bought a pack to munch while here!

will let you know if anything untoward happens smile

BlueBumedFly Wed 23-Jul-08 16:17:09

Hmmmm, just gone onto the site and they contain traces of nuts, I knew there was a reason I did not but them!! So, could he be intolerant to nuts? Where is the rash? If it is on his face, around the lips and the gets hot in the face and head then don't let him have them any more and get a GP to refer for nut allergy testing.

Don't want to scare but nut allergy is serious and should be checked. Hope he is OK though.

snozmum Wed 23-Jul-08 22:44:59

It's really odd isn't it? He gets an all over rash and is very very hot. I will mention the nuts thing to her. He is allergic to pork and milk I know but not all dairy and doesn't react to anything else quite like this.

BlueBumedFly Wed 23-Jul-08 23:20:42

Poor little thing, I hope that they get to the bottom of it. By the sounds of things it could be the dairy perhaps? But pork? How strange poor little man. His immune system must be working overtime. Avoid the hob nobs I guess and get the RAST done for nuts. I hope it works out for them.

williamsmummy Thu 24-Jul-08 00:17:40

hazelnut traces.

BlueBumedFly Thu 24-Jul-08 11:08:32

Williamsmummy - that would explain it, Hazelnuts are very allergenic. On another note my DD is on a desensitization programme and is no longer allergic to tree nuts which is an amazing jump forward. She used to have a RAST over 100 and now she has peanut protein every day leading up to the big nut challenge in September when she has peanut butter. It is life changing stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now