Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am creating a Chef Card for ds1 to hand out to chefs and cooks regarding his allergies....

(21 Posts)
KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 22:24:39

Once I've finished it I will share the template with anyone who needs it.

ssd Sat 19-Jul-08 22:26:01

kerry what do you mean hand out to chefs and cooks?

KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 22:28:45

It is a card which lists all of ds1's allergies and what he can safely eat. It explains about how his food must be prepared, etc.

I'd say it is most suitable for mfa people.

KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 22:29:23

GeekGirl is translating mine for a trip with ds1 to Austria. She is a saint and I kiss her feet! smile

ssd Sat 19-Jul-08 22:30:16

ah, ok

KaSo Sat 19-Jul-08 22:41:40

But most chefs will hand it back to you and tell you they can't cater for the child. A friend of mine has a nut allergy and we've only found 2 restautrants in the county that will happily cater for her and guarentee her safety.
I'm sure the card would be fine for when a child goes to play at other peoples houses but commercially you are not going to find many people following 'special preperation' instructions.

KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 22:44:50

wow. I've never had any problems before. At least not in Ireland or UK.

I made this up as I'm going to Austria and nervous about not speaking the language.

icecreamsoda Sat 19-Jul-08 23:18:02

A card is a good idea if you're going abroad to a country where you don't speak the language, but I would wonder about the reaction of restaurant staff in the UK if you were to walk in with what is essentially a written list of preparation requirements. Why can't you just communicate them to the staff verbally? Giving instructions in writing makes you sound very unapproachable imo.

KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 23:19:26

good point. I've only ever talked to chefs in UK and Ireland. I've done this mainly for trip overseas as I don't speak the language. It is essential in this case really.

May prove useful to others in similar situations.

KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 23:20:08

though we are attending a tournament in Liverpool next week and I emailed ahead a list of what he can eat to prepare cooks.

icecreamsoda Sat 19-Jul-08 23:28:04

There's a difference between specific events though and walking into a public restaurant. Presumably the organizers of the tournament would have requested details of any specific requirements so that they can cater accordingly?

If your ds has severe alergies such as nut alergy anyone organizing a specific event really doesn't want that on their conscience so are usually very careful to ensure that specific steps are taken to ensure that the child is appropriately catered for, to the extent that they will sometimes exclude the offending item from their menu altogether so as to ensure no reaction can occur.

This is different from eating in a restaurant because you are at the tournament and will be eating as part of it, but you go into a restaurant specifically to eat, does that make sense?

KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 23:29:46

yes.

I've never had any problems in restaurants though and the list of things that ds1 is allergic to (severely) is DAUNTING. I usually just request what he CAN have

icecreamsoda Sat 19-Jul-08 23:31:49

what alergies does your ds have? If it is just one or two things he is alergic to then this should be easy enough to communicate to restaurant staff, if there are several alergies then I could see the need for a more detailed list.

icecreamsoda Sat 19-Jul-08 23:37:29

Maybe it would be useful to carry the card but to say to the staff "My son has signifficant allergies and it is essential that he doesn't have certain foods, would it be easier if I tell you the things he can't have or would it be better if I gave you a written list so as you're not under pressure to remember them all?" that way you put the ball in their court so to speak.

icecreamsoda Sat 19-Jul-08 23:40:17

I actually wonder if there's a case for making restaurants put ingredient details on their menu in the same way as happens on supermarket packaging. that way people who do have allergies can take responsibility for what they are ordering, without having to feel they are constantly making demands whenever they go out to eat.

KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 23:43:30

he has anaphylaxis to dairy, peanuts and eggs. He is allergic to about 30 other known things.

I usually say that he has a lot of allergies and it may be easier for me to tell you what he can eat.

As long as his food is plain he is okay

Hannah81 Sat 19-Jul-08 23:49:18

the problem most people have is that in so many ingredients there may be traces of peanuts, etc... so a restaurant will be able to tell you if they are in the recipe or not but really can't guarantee that they are nut free for example, because the factory handling the product may have been handling nuts. So even if nuts are not used in the recipe, there may still be traces of nuts in the finished product which could not have been foreseen by the chef.
same goes for other allergy related foods.

KerryMum Sat 19-Jul-08 23:54:43

we usually order plain, steamed chicken breast (no dressing, garnishes or sauces), or fish (same) or turkey breast (same) or lamb chops (same) with steamed rice or plain boiled potatoes or chips and steamed veg.

very easy really

ssd Sun 20-Jul-08 20:56:23

kerry hows your foot now?

KerryMum Mon 21-Jul-08 10:27:03

much better [touch wood] smile

still a bit stiff at times and I did put it out a month or so ago and that freaked me as it hurt badly for a few weeks. But hopefully now all ok.

alibubbles Mon 21-Jul-08 13:00:25

IME if you tell other nationalities that your child has a nut allergy, they look at you askance as they have rarely come across it.

DD has had a nut allergy for 14 years, she lived in Paris for three years at University and has travelled extensively, she is currently in India.

She has been to Peru, Thailand, Sri Lanka, etc since she was 16 without us. Plus all the usual places like canada, USA etc, it has never been a problem for her, infact some of her finicky friends have far more problems finding something to eat, DD will try anything!

So kerrymum, your child can look forward to an exciting future, but she did find that the lonely planet guide does translate I am allergic to nuts into Indian languages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now