Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So gutted looks like Ds has developed a soya allergy as well as the rest.

(28 Posts)
trixymalixy Fri 18-Jul-08 19:36:09

He is allergic to dairy/eggs/sesame/chickpeas/lentils and now it looks like he is allergic to soya as well.

I'm so gutted as it is so hard to avoid, and it was the one saving grace that he tested negative to soya.

I've always tried to not give him soya milk, giving him rice milk instead but soya yoghurts were always a bit of a lifesaver.

What can i give him instead?

oi Fri 18-Jul-08 19:38:04

how old

we had dairy eggs soya with dd (confirmed) and chicken fish peas (of all things) unconfirmed

she outgrew dairy and soya and eventually egg and the chicken/fish/peas seemed to be temporary

it is a PITA but you're probably used to reading labels obsessively so it's just another thing to read (sigh for you)

oi Fri 18-Jul-08 19:39:15

we had prescribed milk for ages then a list of stuff with calcium in that she needed to have lots in her diet (like purple sprouting brocolli and oily fish with bones like sardines but all depends on age)

trixymalixy Fri 18-Jul-08 19:42:36

He's 18 months old.

What age did your DD grow out of her allergies?

oi Fri 18-Jul-08 19:47:29

I think you should still be able to get a prescription for milk then (not sure what the rules are now...). Problem is that it tastes foul so he may not eat it!

Dd outgrew milk and soya by around 2 and a half I think? Quite early on (that's quite common so maybe there's hope for your ds). Egg went around age 7 (but I still think she may have a marginal problem). She is still a very atopic child and tends to get rashes out of nothing and every now and then, looks like she's having a reaction (I think she has a seafood problem).

Have you got a paediatrician?

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 18-Jul-08 19:50:40

Poor you, trixy - soya allergy is a bummer, it is everywhere.

I used to give ds2 jelly or a weird thing I spotted in Waitrose called "table cream" (it had a brand name but I can't recall it off-hand). I made all of his other treats myself - there are some things made from oats and rice you can buy now, though.

Ds2 outgrew his soya allergy when he was about 3 - he was also allergic to lentils, peas, wheat and a wide variety of other things as well as the usual egg/dairy/fish combo. But he outgrew the minor ones.

Good luck!!

trixymalixy Fri 18-Jul-08 20:16:25

We had a prescription for neocate, but DS won't drink it. i'm still bfing him.

We are seeing the allergy consultant at Yorkhill in Glasgow.

Soya is just so easy to get now. I have seen rice and oat yoghurts online in the states but haven't managed to find them in the uk yet.

Does anyone know if you can make your own yoghrt with a yoghurt maker from rice or oat milk?

oi Fri 18-Jul-08 20:18:52

I don't know. To be honest, I gave up on yoghurt once we realised the soya allergy was there (not long after the milk one).

I remember thinking at the time what a PITA it was with desserts especially.

If it's any consolation, dd eats virtually any fruit and vegetable now and I'm sure it's because she had so much when she was little. Pudding was almost always fruit and it really helped her healthy eating. I think he might be able to have jelly?

wb Sat 19-Jul-08 15:57:50

Poor you - soya is such a pain to avoid.

Pudding-wise, if you buy the old fashioned Birds Custard powder you can make this up with rice milk/oat milk etc. Jelly is good, sorbets are a possibility and for special occasions you can make trifle.

As a small word of comfort my friend's ds did outgrow his soya allergy y age 3, even though he is still very allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts

AbricotsSecs Sat 19-Jul-08 16:08:52

Message withdrawn

heliotrope Fri 25-Jul-08 14:43:14

Yes I do custard made from the special formula and also ground rice pudding and semolina pudding - can add jam, cocoa or fruit puree to make it seem like different desserts!

beautifulday Wed 30-Jul-08 21:19:39

hiya,

my ds is allergic to dairy/egg/soya/citrus/berry fruits and im at the moment trying to rule out wheat/gluten - its a nightmare isnt it! soya was a big thing as so many milk/dairy alternatives are made with soya and heaps of bread has soya in it.

www.dietaryneedsdirect.co.uk is a good website - i just do searches for soya and check the other ingredients listed - they have rice deserts there ds loves the vanilla one but didn't like the chocolate one.

we are going to the allergy clinic at yorkhill in October, i think - waiting for date to come through, when he turns 1 they are tying it up with his ECMO followup so hoping they are the same day so we dont need to make two trips to Glasgow as its a bit of a distance!
if you want to chat or anything about allergies (its all i ever talk about at the mo lol!) feel free to drop me an email - jinnycatbw @gmail .com (without the spaces!)

take care annax

tatt Wed 30-Jul-08 22:56:33

not being funny but are you sure he has a problem? My kid tests positive to soya but is OK with small amounts in food. They can't have soy milk though. It is really hard to have to avoid all soya.

trixymalixy Thu 31-Jul-08 22:26:53

Tatt, I'm not 100% sure, but we have cut it out for the moment and we might try him with a soya yoghurt again. He has had the first solid no 2 for a long time since we cut out soya and has been sleeping through though.

I managed to make a decent blancmange with rice milk which DS seemed to like.

beautifulday, I am lucky enough to live in Glasgow so don't have to travel that far to get to Yorkhill. Where are you from?

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 03-Aug-08 10:50:23

allergy place at yorkhill is good

Do your LOs have epipens? (or maye syringes as I guess to young for EPs) I got training from a nurse there on the use of them and a resus lesson etc it was really useful.

Gosh soya as well as dairy is hard I have no idea about yoghurt making. whats babyrice got in it? Just thinking that with oat/rice milk and some fruit mixed in might be an alternative? Organix fruit pots are good, if your looking for after meal pudding types.

Are you a member of the anaphylaxis campagn? They sometimes have ideas in their news letter.

barmymamma Tue 05-Aug-08 20:57:16

hiya how you getting on?
My ds has milk, egg, nuts, wheat, kiwi alergies. the interesting thing is that his blood tests have always showed that he has an allgy to soya, but we just couldnt cope without it. it was same level as wheat, which would exacerbate his eczema and produce a rash on his chest within 20 mins of eating.
we felt the soya was exacerbating his itching and also giving him loose stools,but we managed the itching with antihistamines and the loose stools just slowly resolved.

have you considered keeping it in diet, even if just a little bit, just the bits you really cant replace and see what happenes?
unless of course reaction will be life threatening, anaphylaxis, then ignore me!!
i wish now we had done this with wheat, as although the bloods say his level is now 0-1 his eczema still reacts and he is sick if he eats nore than a 1/4 slice of normal bread.if we had kept it in diet, maybe he would be tolerating it despite blood reslults!!
it is anightmare and i would love to talk to more people who are living with this.i bore everyone else silly!!! let me know if you want to talk and ill give you my email xx
god luck smile

trixymalixy Wed 06-Aug-08 22:40:51

I'm getting on ok thanks.

I've managed to find some bread that doesn't have soya flour in it in my local supermarket which is useful.

The dessert thing is the most difficult. I have made blancmange and custard which he seemed to enjoy. I have also tried jelly, but he really didn't like it.

I think we will try him with a soya yoghurt again now things have settled down a bit.

i got really depressed about it all when my mum bought me a cooking for allergies cookbook which he still couldn't eat alot of as here were a lot of tomato based recipes.

We're also trying to cut down on our food bills and all the money saving recipes I have found use tomatoes or lentils :-(

barmymamma Thu 07-Aug-08 14:16:08

i know, its a nightmare trying to juggle there dietary needs and finance! i'm not at home at the mo, but when i get home ill post the titles of the cook books i use.there might be something in those.
i'm trying to vary ds giet, baked beans on toast most lunch times, or orgran spaghetti on toast! but he is'nt up for change, typical 4 yr old. so that makes me reluctant to keep trying, cos its literally money in the bin if he wont eat it!
we all try to eat the same stuff too, make him more accepting of his diet, but also less complicated for me, but its boring!!!!
would love to know how you made blancmange and custard, if you could let me know. not seen that in my books.
my other worry is salt at the mo. its bloody everwhere and they only ment to have 2g a day, his lunch almost takes up this allowance! tip him over edge with treat of bag a crisps, lol!!
i get really low too, worry that i was too quick to exclude foods and thats why his allergies are so bad now!mostly only cut them out to help his eczema. wish i hadnt now and maybe his skin would be horrendous, but at least i woulnt be affraid of a simple treat or meal causing anaphylaxis!!
but i cant turn back time, and maybe i did do the right thing, chicken and egg question, so will never knowsad.
do keep in touch xx

trixymalixy Thu 07-Aug-08 18:19:36

For the custrad i use birds eye custard powder in a tin and follow the instructions on there except put rice milk in instead of normal milk. It was a bit runny so I'm going to experiment with the amounts, you can put cocoa powder in to make chocolate custard as well.

I bought some Pearce Duff's blancmange powder in the supermarket (the strawberry one has milk in, but the rest are fine) and just made that up with rice milk. It is a bit artificial tasting, so I might try making my own banana blancmange as I think it is really just cornflour and flavouring.

I'll let you know how I get on.

It would be great if you could tell me the titles of your cookbooks. the one I have is "How to cook for Food Allergies".

trixymalixy Thu 07-Aug-08 18:24:49

For the custrad i use birds eye custard powder in a tin and follow the instructions on there except put rice milk in instead of normal milk. It was a bit runny so I'm going to experiment with the amounts, you can put cocoa powder in to make chocolate custard as well.

I bought some Pearce Duff's blancmange powder in the supermarket (the strawberry one has milk in, but the rest are fine) and just made that up with rice milk. It is a bit artificial tasting, so I might try making my own banana blancmange as I think it is really just cornflour and flavouring.

I'll let you know how I get on.

It would be great if you could tell me the titles of your cookbooks. the one I have is "How to cook for Food Allergies".

katch Thu 07-Aug-08 18:50:26

I used a book called 'Cooking Without' when I was treating IBS a while ago, there's also a veggie version. The author is Barbara Cousins. Lots of dessert and baking recipes, and a really good foreword about general nutrition. I remember making a banana and mango ice cream which my kids loved. Good luck.

ToughDaddy Thu 07-Aug-08 19:48:15

have you come across a formula called Nutramigen? We still use it for our 9 year old twice a day. The allegist is pleased that we do as it has good supplements and he recommended it over and above soya based formula.

Rice milk for cereals

Even so, soya has been great for dairy/egg/wheat/etc allergic children here so I feel for you

trixymalixy Thu 07-Aug-08 22:07:57

DS had an allergic reaction to Nutramigen toughdaddy :-(

We have been given neocate but Ds refuses it.

ToughDaddy Thu 07-Aug-08 22:56:41

Oh dear. Nutramigen tastes awful but little ones don't know any different. Very sorry to hear. Holiday food is a big issue here. Last year we went to a big family event and we had specific email exchanges with organisers and thought that food was sorted for 3DC. After long travel, we got there and there was NOTHING that 3DC could eat except some biscuits and corn and sweets that I had in my bag. I was gutted and angry but I learnt from that. School lunches are high maintence. How old is your DC?

barmymamma Sat 09-Aug-08 13:51:17

if your little ones refuse the alternative milks, then you can always flavor them with nesquick. i was horrifie when mu ds's dieticain suggested it, but i used as little as poss and it worked. ten over a few weeks and reduced it again, until ds didnt need it any more. may be worth a try? xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now