Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What plans to you have in place for administration of epis in Secondary school?

(15 Posts)
KerryMum Sat 12-Jul-08 12:33:42

Starting to think about this now. ds1 has 2 more years in primary and then onto secondary. He's had a sna with him all through primary during breaks and meals and outings. He is also a year younger than kids in his class as he skipped a class and will be 11, turning 12 in November when he starts secondary.

If your child is in secondary what plans are in place for administration of epis if needed?

SqueakyPop Sat 12-Jul-08 12:34:55

We are all having Epipen training when we go back to school in September.

KerryMum Sat 12-Jul-08 12:37:09

Are you a teacher squeaky?

SqueakyPop Sat 12-Jul-08 12:44:51

Yes

KerryMum Sat 12-Jul-08 12:55:15

you're a poster of few words there squeaky!

Can you tell me more about the school setup? Is there a nurse? Where will epis be kept? Lunch room?

SqueakyPop Sat 12-Jul-08 13:10:39

We don't have a school nurse.

I'm not sure where epipens are kept. I suppose I will find out when I do the training. At the moment, we only have one pupil with an epipen. I would suspect that she carried it herself, although keeping them in the lunchroom would make sense.

BalloonSlayer Tue 15-Jul-08 14:38:15

At our secondary school the kids with epipens all have to carry one on them, in their school bags. Various staff members are trained and all classrooms have a list of allergic children and what they are allergic to pinned on the wall, also a list of staff trained to administer them.

Although I am hmm at the amount of time it would take to send another child to run to get someone who was trained to administer the epipen etc.

The school nurse has a second epipen for all the children with them, in her office.

I am not sure what happens on school outings or during PE some distance from school bag/nurse's office though.

ShadowyMariaMiller Tue 15-Jul-08 14:39:25

my mates son has one
he has it wiht him if he comes here
nto a big deal
she said jjust open it up and ram it in his leg afaicr

ShadowyMariaMiller Tue 15-Jul-08 14:40:09

he ahs a velcored belt thing loop
its not a big deal
he is 11

tatt Tue 15-Jul-08 20:35:18

my child carries two epipens with them (in theory). One is in their blazer, one in the school bag and I'm pretty sure that one gets left behind at lunch time hmm. There is also, at the school's request, one in their first aid room. That has staff trained to adminster the epipen, if they aren't at lunch/on a day off at the time.

When my child started I ensured refresher training was arranged as the school hadn't had any for some years. I attended it with out of date epipens and an orange grin. Several teachers were present as well as someone from the canteen and first aiders.

You can't rely on there being an adult around to use a pen - sorry, I wish you could. Your child has to start taking responsibility for their allergy. If at all posible get a trainer pen and encourage their friends to learn. Our school does a first aid day for all childen in year 8 and I've turned up once at that with my practice pen too, much to my child's disgust.

Also keep an eye on the toilets. My kid has been instructed to wash their hands with soap before eating and to use the teacher's own toilet if there is no soap in the childrens' toilet. I doubt they would have the confidence to do so sometimes I inspect soap dispensers and make a fuss grin.

islandofsodor Tue 22-Jul-08 19:18:39

Tatt, I'm interested in what you say about friends being able to use an epi-pen. We have a nut allergic child coming to a holiday club in a couple of weeks time, she is secondary age and carries an epi pen. None of the staff have had training and I am wodering what would be the situation if she was unable to self administer.

None of the first aid organisations are doing training over the next week. Does training have to be carried out by a health preofessionaletc or would it be sufficient for me to ask mum to show me how to use the pen on the first day? I don;t want to be sued obviously!!!!!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

tatt Tue 22-Jul-08 20:30:16

at schools training is normally done by a health professional. But it's not rocket science obviously or kids couldn't do it themselves smile. Getting the mum to show you what to do is likely to be as good as any other training you'd get. It's very unlikely anyone will neeed to use an epipen but better to be prepared.

Personally we have a trainer pen (one minus a needle) and I show everyone how to use it, whether they are interested or not. You have to be pushy when you have a child with serious allergies. A child's friends are more likely to be with them than teachers/ other adults. Kids are much less scared of the idea, so easier to show.

I'd sue anyone who stood by and watched a child die, I wouldn't sue anyone who had tried to help. Important thing is not to panic and to put the needle into the child's leg, not your finger.

islandofsodor Tue 22-Jul-08 22:29:25

To be honest Mum seems quite relaxed about it inthat she only mentioned it in response to our question "are there any health issues we need to know about" and didn't ask about what we would do. I think I'll corner her on the first day and ask her for an action plan she wants us to follow in case of emergency.

tatt Wed 23-Jul-08 10:30:48

well most children don't have reactions very often once they know what they have to avoid. If they are accidentally exposed to a trace of nut the reaction may not be serious enough to use an epipen, children have varying levels of sensitivity. If it is serious the child can probably use the pen themselves and if you phoned for an ambulance they would talk you through it.

Personally I'd always rather people knew but as some adults get frightened by having a nut allergic child around the mum may be worried you wouldn't have her.

The asthmatic children are far more at risk (more deaths from asthma attacks) but no-one thinks twice about them!

islandofsodor Wed 23-Jul-08 18:09:03

Oh gosh, the ignorance about asthma is frightening (I'm asthmatic)

The number of people who think that sitting down with a drink of water can help an asthma attack!!!!!!

I insist that children keep their inhalors with them, if they don't work or have forgotten it and a parent can't get to them quickly with it then there would be no messing I'd call an ambulance.

I can personally stave off an attack by breathing in a certain way but I wouldn't be able to communicate that to a child.

I'd never turn a child down due to an allergy. We have one child who gets seizures and if it happens we have 10 mins to get rectal diazepam administered. Mum was so grateful when we said she could still come. Fingers crossed it will never happen with us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now