Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what age to teach a child how to use their epipen

(5 Posts)
brimfull Fri 11-Jul-08 23:51:43

should ds nearly 6 know what to do with it?

He's had it for 4 yrs and I don't think I've ever shown him how to use it as he's always with an adult who knows how to use it.

When did you teach your child?

KerryMum Sat 12-Jul-08 03:33:40

I'd say 6 is WAAAAAAYYYYY too young. Remember they are going to be panicking or feeling very odd or going unconscious, etc. A 6 year old does not have the wearwithall or maturity to know how to react in this type of situation. ds1 is 9.5 and I haven't shown him yet. I think I will start thinking about it once he enters secondary school. Even then I will not rely on him to administer it himself.

Until then he is not left alone or in any situation unless there is an adult who has been trained on how to administer his epi.

brimfull Sat 12-Jul-08 10:40:42

yes I agree,just checking

phew-thought I would find people saying that their child has known since they were 3 or something.

I have a friend whose 12 yr old dd injected herself at a sleepover.

hellish Sat 12-Jul-08 23:23:52

Sorry I have to say I think there's no reason not to show him how it works at age 6.

My dd (5) has watched me inject an orange and has asked if she can have a go next time one reaches the expiry date. We also have a 'trainer' that she and her older sister have used.

I am careful not to let me dd think she is going to have to do this herself, she is never without adult supervision but I think it helped her to see what that adult would do.

brimfull Sun 13-Jul-08 16:38:00

hellish-good idea about showing him with an out of date one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now