Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Balloon/ Latex allergy?

(9 Posts)
Hayls Mon 31-Jan-05 15:31:07

Just posted this under health as didn't realise there wa an Allergy topic . ANyone with advice out htere?
Hope this doesn't sound too strange but on Saturday night we were preparing for dd's bday party and sticking balloons up everywhere. I didn't blow any up as dh had a pump but I was handling them. Suddenly it felt as though my throat was being constricted - I could breath but it felt like it wasn't all going down my throat IFKWIM) and my face started tingling. I felt quite flushed and got really panicky. Dh was insisting on taking me to A&E but as suddenly as it started it began to die down again. We got rid of the balloons and I've been fine sine but am a bit worried as I've heard that if an allergy is triggered the second reaction can be much more severe. I've never had this kind of reaction before although I am allergic to metals in jewellery and watches etc. (inlcuding plastic watch straps) I'm sure it was the balloons, although it did seem to only start when we opened the 2nd pack, which were different with lettering on them- any link?
Any advice would be much appreciated (sorry at work so haven't read this through)
TIA

bobbybob Mon 31-Jan-05 22:48:24

It was likely to be the release of dust from the second pack. My ds has had exactly the same reaction as you to balloons. How are you with bananas/kiwifruit?

I would suggest that you see your GP as you are correct that a 2nd reaction can be worse. You need to have the tests for latex allergy.

All sorts of things contain latex, so it's important to know for sure.

KBear Mon 31-Jan-05 22:50:28

what's the connection with bananas bobbybob?

misdee Mon 31-Jan-05 22:51:19

arent poinsettas (the plant) best avoided as well?

bobbybob Tue 01-Feb-05 08:02:57

Bananas and Kiwi (Chestnut and a whole host of other things to a lesser extent) cross react with latex.

Poinsetta's have a latex like sap if the leaves are broken, which can cause a reaction.

But then the list of actual latex things is massive - pencil erasers, rubber bands, PVA glue, some paint, some newsprint, some dental instruments, some toothbrush handles.

I am in denial about getting some of these out of the house until I have the blood test results for ds.

Hayls Tue 01-Feb-05 08:35:28

Thanks for the advice. I've made an appt with my gp this morning so hopefully he'll help me. I've never had a problem with bananas or kiwi although I can't eat bananas because they make me gag (same with jelly and fromage frais).
I kill all plants I own so I've never had a poinsetta

Hayls Tue 01-Feb-05 12:08:49

Just thought I'd log in to say that I went to see the gp this morning and she doesn't think I had a 'bad' reaction so her advice was to avoid balloons. It was a locum (Swedish woman who hardly understood me and kept having to repeat myself and correct her)and tbh I don't think she had a clue what she was talking about- I had dd for an appt as well and firstly she asked how old she was and I replied that she was one on Saturday and her next question was is she potty trained yet?! Then when she was examining her she asked why she doesn't wear Pampers...she's allergic Anyway she wasn't very interested and said if it happens again I should go back and they'll consider referring me for allergy testing. She asked if I've ever used condoms (looking very embarrassed) and when I said yes replied that it sounded like I wasn't allergic to latex because I hadn't reacted to them.
I'm still a bit panicky about it as I'm not sure if/when something else might trigger a similar reaction but I guess I've managed 26 years without one so is it likely to happen again? Hopefully not. I'm more confused than ever now!

Twiglett Tue 01-Feb-05 15:34:30

I thought not all condoms were made of the same material though? I know I have problems with standard durex but Avanti don't cause them

I would go back and see another GP and insist on allergy testing, stress how frightening the attack was

bobbybob Wed 02-Feb-05 00:17:34

If you are okay with condoms then it was probably the powder in the balloons which set you off. You need to avoid rubber gloves and surgical latex gloves (non powder ones may be okay).

I would avoid latex as much as possible, and go and see a proper doctor. Honestly you would think that health care workers would be very aware of latex allergy given that so many of them develop it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now