Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Private allergy testing, Where? Cost?

(15 Posts)
piffle Tue 25-Jan-05 12:02:33

Following on from DD being possibly allergic to our puppy dog, we need to get her allergy tested before we get rid of the dog to be sure etc. Also as our friends have dogs and we spend a lot of time there now I need to know
Where do I start? NHS say 6-12 mth wait for non urgent tests.
How much will it cost? DH has said the dog is worth £600 but if the cost of testing goes over that then no go...

misdee Tue 25-Jan-05 12:06:02

ask your gp, i think GOSH do allergy testing and u may be able to go private thro them.

MancMum Tue 25-Jan-05 12:07:54

try york test online - think it is only £150 quid or so.

I used them and found them good.

edam Tue 25-Jan-05 12:09:35

be careful; lots of dodgy companies out there exploiting people's fear of allergies. I used to work for a well-known consumer organisation. we sent samples off for testing to one of the biggest allergy testing labs. we said they were different samples but actually sent two samples from each person - surprise surprise got different results. One sample from person A came back 'allergic to x, y, z' another 'not allergic at all' and so on. The lab missed some people who really did have properly diagnosed allergies and found allergies in perfectly healthy volunteers.

Basically check the methodology of any place you use - do they use the same methods as the NHS? Ask your doc what NHS would do for you - skin prick testing?

Can you take her away for a few days and see how the suspected allergy does? And then try the same with the dog - take him/her away for a few days? Might give you a rough idea whether it is actually the dog. But there will be dog hairs left in your house so you'll need to clean really thoroughly to get any idea.

edam Tue 25-Jan-05 12:10:38

Disagree with MancMum - personally wouldn't use them.

MancMum Tue 25-Jan-05 12:13:09

edam...funny you should say that as I thought about sending in another sample to check... but thought for 150 quid would not bother... I found them good as in prompt and helpful but of course a charlatan could be just that as well!

maybe will start eating cheese again!!

piffle Tue 25-Jan-05 12:20:24

the dog only stays in the kitchen which is hoovered and mopped every day.
Kennels would cost £9 per night and doc said we need 2 weeks to be sure
So for cost and also trauma to puppikins testing is preferable
dd was fine staying at grandmas which is why I suspect the dog...

Sandi102 Tue 25-Jan-05 20:09:22

phone your local GNC health shop. They reccomended someone to me, a woman who does it privately within your own home. She only charges £40 and her name is Maggie.

piffle Fri 28-Jan-05 12:31:28

you can buy from chemist or online something called an imutest for £9.99 which tests for allergen antibodies in thumbprick blood.
Think this might be the way forward really.
Will try and source now!
thanks

pipsy1 Fri 28-Jan-05 13:16:18

We just had our daughter tested for 9 different things by a private allergist in Kent. My husband found her by asking GP. NHS as you say was such a long wait but GP should be able to recommend good private one. All her tests cost £150.
And it was so gentle, she didn't make a sound - they hardly prick the skin, so much better than the old days

bubbaloo Sat 29-Jan-05 21:36:29

definately yorktest!!
i've now used them twice and they are marvellous, and WELL WORTH IT!!!

dawnie1 Sat 29-Jan-05 22:14:42

We thought our dd was allergic to our persian cat. I stopped bfeeding her at 6 months and then she seemed to develop an allergy, runny eyes, scratching her face, horrid barking cough. My GP said that cats are one of the biggest causes of allergies but not not such a problem with dogs (we also have 2 dogs)and also that babies/toddlers can get over pet allergies very quickly and for no apparant reason. Anyhow we shaved the cat, looked absolutley awful, but it did seem to work. Cat was shaved twice so almost bald for nearly a year and now her coat has fully grown back and dd has no reaction to her at all - no allergies. Thats what seems to have worked for us.

NatureDoc Sun 30-Jan-05 21:40:05

York Test is brilliant! See www.yorktest.com . You can get de-sensitising homeopathic drops from Ainsworths Homeopathic Dispensary too.

Meddic Wed 26-Feb-14 12:56:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

olga007 Sat 29-Apr-17 11:03:51

Hi
I know it's a old post but I live in kent and would like to know the place you had your allergy test done please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now