Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Immunisation and allergy (Jim Jams?)

(30 Posts)
Podmog Fri 21-Jan-05 08:32:43

Message withdrawn

Podmog Fri 21-Jan-05 09:47:20

Message withdrawn

misdee Fri 21-Jan-05 09:48:44

i dont know ifn there is a,ink, but my dd1 eczema flared up after baby jabs.

Podmog Fri 21-Jan-05 10:54:32

Message withdrawn

Uwila Fri 21-Jan-05 11:05:34

I'm afraid I have no advice. But I'll be interested to follow this as I will have to make a decision on the 5 in 1 for my ds (who is due to enter this world end of May). I'm leaning towards getting the 5in1. But dd has a bit of excema (not bad). So, if the 5in1 has potential to aggravate excema, I may have to rethink my plan.

Anyone know if there is a scientifically established link between the 5in1 and excema?

ruty Fri 21-Jan-05 11:57:41

my boy also has bad eczema, which is clearing up since i cut out dairy [ breastfeeding] but haven't had jabs yet. there won't be any scientific established evidence to prove it because not enough research done on jabs in general. i think myself its a very big coincidence if not related to jabs. horrilbe for you and i dread going thru the same thing.

ruty Fri 21-Jan-05 11:59:02

BTW our family has similar history to yours.

alwayssaythanku Fri 21-Jan-05 20:01:04

Podmog, there is a thread in the "health" section called the "truth about vaccines" and I and others are currently in debate about pros and cons of vaccines. I think what happened with your child would be of extreme interestto us there and also there are more people on that thread who may be able to help you. I personally am anti jab and with good reason, reading stories like what has unfortunately occurred with your child. I have to say, my son's excema flares up with anything, much less a jab. Excema has a way of calming itself down with time though. I personally believe its due to stress on the system, and obviously jabs are stressful to this. If you are open to this idea, maybe a homeopath could be very very helpful.

Podmog Sat 22-Jan-05 20:10:52

Message withdrawn

dinny Sat 22-Jan-05 21:10:24

Hi Podmog, oh poor little ds, how scary for you. I don't really know anything about vaccines. But my ds is also due his 3rd imms (have had two x 5-in-1). Was ok for the first but very subdued for 48 hours after second. I just don't want him to have the last lot (btw, dd had 3 lots of the old jabs ) he's booked for them next Tues but think am going to at least postpone them. all you can do is go with your gut instinct as ds's mum. all the best

Podmog Sun 23-Jan-05 16:34:43

Message withdrawn

misdee Sun 23-Jan-05 17:00:23

Podmog i was trying to find this thread the other day. i am being asked agin by health clinic about dd2 having her MMR. in the last few weeks dd2 has had more allergic reactions and is also proving to be atopic like dd1. the only thing dd2 hasnt shown signs of yet is asthma, and i am aware she could develop that later on.

I am so sorry your boy is ill, its hard trying to find out what the right thing to do is. i am dreading the new jabs with #3.

HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 19:30:37

Message withdrawn

bobbybob Sat 29-Jan-05 06:57:00

I have heard of success in boosting babies with probiotics prior to jabs. Maybe you could see if it works afterwards...

Sorry to hear you are having an awful time. Watching your baby get like this is terrible. Hugs.

NatureDoc Sun 30-Jan-05 21:37:04

If you are ANYWHERE near Surrey then call Christina head - she is an AMAZING homeopath and has written books on vaccination etc 01737 762497 http://www.aneducateddecision.com

Socci Sun 30-Jan-05 21:48:42

Message withdrawn

Socci Sun 30-Jan-05 21:51:40

Message withdrawn

tatt Wed 02-Feb-05 05:26:31

if your child isn't already on probiotics for their eczema then giving them for at least a week, preferably longer, before vaccination may help protect against adverse effects. I'm really sorry you're having such a bad time, podmoq. Can't expect much support from your dh if his father is dying, he'll need your support. Sometimes everything just seems to come at once.

Podmog Wed 02-Feb-05 07:16:45

Message withdrawn

Podmog Wed 02-Feb-05 11:21:39

Message withdrawn

marz Wed 02-Feb-05 13:19:04

Podmog,
Just read this thread and it sounds like you have so much on your plate at the moment. I think it is hard to make any decent decisions and stick to them when you are so tired and have dp with his own problems too!
I hope that the day gets better for you...
For what its worth, I would try and get a referral to the hospital. Whether or not you decide to go ahead with the jabs, you need to feel like you have some sort of support from the medical profession, apart from a&e when the problem is serious.
I am in a similar situation to you....my dd2 has had 1 meningitis vac. Literally that is all. I KNOW they exist separately, but am supposed to be fighting to sort it. Dd2 is now 17months and I have not done anything. I am fed up of speaking to Drs who insist it will not make too much difference to the eczema. Admittedly her eczema is now under control, but still very much there if I slack on creams etc. The point for me though is that I am pro vacinnations. But dd1 reacted to peanut less than a week after her MMR and had been fine with it before that. So, was it just that her immune system was compromised at the time or was it MY fault as I should not have been giving an atopic child peanuts at that age anyway, (she was 18months + ) as was sugessted by a consultant. Whoever is to blame, the fact is that now we have to carry epipens and we have to be careful with nuts. So why would I risk putting dd2 into the same boat?
I want dd2 to have all the vacinnations but I am trying to find a dr who will take me seriously and admit there are separate vacinnations, but I think unfortunately it is like NHS staff have been paid to guard the secret or how to get them very well......I have not given up yet!
God...I sound like a conspiracy theorist don't I?
Good luck though, I hope you get some rest....

tatt Thu 03-Feb-05 14:31:24

podmoq I haven't got anything to say that is going to help - unless it helps to know that someone else is thinking about you. When mil died dh couldn't cope with it at all. He came away when she was in hospital and couldn't face going back without me - she died before we could get back. Go and weep at the doctor - sometimes its the only way to get them to help.

Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 14:51:38

Podmog, sorry if I repeat what somebody else has already said but I'm going out and have not much time to read the full thread.

DS had similar reactions to each single vacine he had during the first year. His eczema flared badly (actually, he did not had any eczema before the first shot), he also got very high fever (41 for a week with the last one and terribly sleepy, we took him to hospital and they told us it might be teething?). Anyways, not willing to risk something worse we opted for the separate vacines and he was fine with them, not even eczema flares. Something I found interesting is that at one of the SepVax shots the nurse (who also had eczema and had recently stoped working in a special eczema unit) told us that there was no way it was teething but that he had noticed that the NHS is so concerned in convincing the public about how "safe" vacine are that are willing to dismiss allergic reaction in order to avoid further damage to the MMR reputation. Now, that was before the 5-in-1, don't know how the new multiple vaccine would work.

alexsmum Thu 03-Feb-05 14:58:06

podmog, only just read this thread.sorry to come to it late.
as i've said before on mn, both my boys reactted to their first set of jabs by having eczema explosions!!! They have been referred to an immunologist who has confirmed the link to vaccines.
Demand a referral.They will tailor your childs immunisation programme to suit him.

it's hell on earth having a baby with severe eczema.I can only wish you the best of luck.
have you seen the cotton comforts catalogue? lots of clothing with mitts attached and anti scratch measures included.

Podmog Sat 05-Feb-05 09:31:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now