Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Poss asthma caused by puppy? Help!

(20 Posts)
piffle Mon 17-Jan-05 21:39:27

We got our puppy two weeks ago, 12 days ago dd developed a runny nose, eyes, mucousy cough, but was not ill as such. All nose and eye fluids etc were clear and she carried on as normal
BUT cough at night got worse and worse and wrose and finally today I took her back to the docs who handed me a ventolin and face mask thingy and said try that, if she stops coughing at night you have your answer.
Gave it to her
She's stopped coughing
She has never hd anything like this before, she is not overly wheezy at all...

Anyone else, does this sound right to you?

mishi1977 Mon 17-Jan-05 22:00:56

hi it sounds like she is having an reaction to the pup..but it is possible to live with dogs even if you are allergic...I have asthma and am allergic to my dog but have found that having laminate flooring in the bedroom and using a strong hoover everyday keeps the allergies to a minimum you also have to keep air in the house so i usually have the window slightly open in bedroom...allergies do tend to be worse of a night but if u keep dog washed and the other things donre it should ease the problem...hope this helps

CountessDracula Mon 17-Jan-05 22:04:22


Get her some allergy tests for dogs. You can have injections to cure you of it, plus things like beconase spray help. xx

piffle Mon 17-Jan-05 22:06:42

this is what confuses me, the puppy is only in the kitchen which is tiled and at the back of the house, the floor is hoovered and mopped up to 3 x a day (puppies grrr)
DD has minimum actual contact as the dog is sectioned off.
The dog is not allowed in any other part of the house as yet due to widdling everywhere.
But we really want her to become a house dog. Which if DD is allergic would be impossible, dd has a heart condition as well which makes every other illness a strain on her so it's just not worth risking if it is the puppy...

Twiglett Mon 17-Jan-05 23:06:35

IMHO you need to get rid of the dog for a few weeks (to a friend or a family member if possible or put it in kennels)

sorry to be harsh but asthma is a really horrible condition where you feel you can't breathe

night time coughing is a big sign of it ..

get your DD allergy tested too

good luck

piffle Tue 18-Jan-05 11:55:16

I know I had asthma as a child too...
The ventolin really helped last night, I am fairly resigned to the fact that it is the dog and she will have to go.
DD was a star with the inhaler and mask, truly a pro..
She slept in my bed as dh was away, she has only ever slept with us once before,
it was truly splendid to have her snuggling in all night!

piffle Tue 18-Jan-05 11:55:41

ps friend has offered to have pup for 2 weeks as well..

Mothernature Tue 18-Jan-05 11:58:56

dont rush into things if you give you pup away for a couple of weeks noww it will disturb it possibly causing problems later, may have nothing to do with pup if you are keeping both away from each other perhaps child is prone to asthma...its the right time of year to show through...she may have just picked up a cough..

piffle Tue 18-Jan-05 12:03:24

arrghh conflict!
The pup will be fine as its my friend who has a farm and 2 dobermann pups who we spent most of our time up there anyway. not worried about doggy as she hates coming home afte going there.
DD cannot stay on ventolin long term as she has a heart condition which may be contraindicated by ventolin... so we need to find out pretty quickly
allergy testing massive waiting list at the mo, trying to find local private specialist now...
DD has never had serious cough before so it all seems to fit sadly.

handlemecarefully Tue 18-Jan-05 12:07:22

Must say your dd's symptoms sound similar to mine when exposed to cats (am allergic to cats)

meea Tue 18-Jan-05 12:11:13

My dd2 has had bad asmatha from being a tiny baby.Last year we decided to buy a puppy.we were concerned about whether she would be allergic so we asked her consultant what she thought.Her answer was to go ahead as if she turned out to be allergic there was medication she could be given.We were told that she would benefit from having a pet and that children like her are better exposed to possible allergic reactions as early as possible.That way she would be more likely to out grow it.

piffle Tue 18-Jan-05 12:16:26

dd is fine withe cat, our specialist said that kids born with cats are usually ok, which dd is.
I cannot ride out asthma though, as dd has too many other health issues which complicate everything.
I pestered the hell out of Dh for this dog, he thinks I'm stupid now! How would I have known?

Mothernature Tue 18-Jan-05 12:19:52

asthma sufferer's suffer more at night when lay down, so does sound like asthma rather than an allergy to pup..but surely you would have check things like possible reactions if daughter ill anyway no?

meea Tue 18-Jan-05 12:39:29

Could you not ask for a different inhaler.My daughters asmatha is usually triggered by a cold or virus.She was started on a atrovent inhaler and given ventalin when she was older.

meea Tue 18-Jan-05 12:41:08

Has your dd spent time with dogs before.

Chandra Tue 18-Jan-05 12:50:39

I have a simmilar dilema at the moment... DS appears to have asthma and in other conditions I would have let the dogs go to a new home, however... we always knew it was going to be nearly impossible to get pregnant so the dogs filled the space of a baby for many years, so it's difficult to let them go. If you are not that attached to the puppy I would let him go... it takes a lot of time to make the house "allerger safe", it is also very expensive. If your child is young and she already has another health problem, I would not strain the things more to keep the puppy. Sorry if this is not very helpful, you may keep the dog with a lot of effort on your part and if your DD is not too sensitive. If your DD is like my sister who gets a horrible rash if somebody who has touch a cat is on the same room as her.... well, it's not really worth it, is it?

hercules Tue 18-Jan-05 20:31:22

We had a the same dilema and got rid of the dog. A huge improvement happened straightaway and I feel guilty for waiting. DS is clearly allergic to cats and dogs.

piffle Tue 18-Jan-05 21:01:35

dd has not been around gos as we only recently moved from a flat to a house.
She has had coughs and colds ya know regular type ones that go within 3-5 days
dd cannot have atrovent for some other complex reason to do with her rare genetic condition aaarghh
the doc suggested as dd got the symptoms within 24 hrs of the [pup arriving, that it was as well to eliminate allergic to dog from list first.
So we have now 24 hrs later:
ventolin cured the cough so doc deduces asthma
now we have to remove the pup for a week to see if symptoms improve off the inhaler.
Then we should hopefully have our answer - trust me with all have been through with dd we cannot take this sort of risk, however unfair it seems on darling uch wanted and begged for pupsicle.
Although to be fair there are times when I'd gladly exchange a 2 yr old dd for the puppy...

piffle Tue 18-Jan-05 21:02:07


jasper Tue 18-Jan-05 21:27:21

the dog has got to go

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: