Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

gluten free baking powder?

(7 Posts)
spod Sat 15-Jan-05 20:16:07

Obviously i cant use normal baking powder as it has wheat in it... what can i use instead, or do i have to stump up 4 quid for the gluten free stuff? i wanna make some biscuits and pastry.... thanks.

charlie95 Sat 15-Jan-05 22:39:40

we have 2 types of health food shop where i live. one is holland and barrett. but previously from the other one i managed to buy special baking powder and gravy powder both of which had none of the things in it that people are usually allergic to. cant remember price or, actual make of them, but im sure between £2 and £5 each. hope this is some help.

sleepytinkerbell Sun 16-Jan-05 09:56:45

doves farm does a gluten free baking flour you can get in big tescos

sleepytinkerbell Sun 16-Jan-05 09:57:40

sorry didnt read the message properly till id posted durrrr!"!!

kinderbob Sun 16-Jan-05 19:19:59

In NZ our normal baking powder at 30p a packet is gluten free. You have my sympathies at having to stump up so much. Are none of the supermarket own brands gluten free?

spod Mon 17-Jan-05 13:26:53

kinderbob, i havent found any.... i'll keep looking

Twiglett Mon 17-Jan-05 13:33:03

you need xanthan gum if you're baking to act as a stabiliser otherwise it won't have a good texture (BTDT) ... just add a teaspoon to any non-gluten flours and bake like normal (maybe add a touch more of the liquid .. butter or oil or whatever .. cos it can be a little dry)

some people can be tolerant of the gluten in baking powder it'll be trial and erorr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now