Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

relieved and impressed with my son today

(7 Posts)
JJ Sat 15-Jan-05 20:10:15

It was the first birthday party he's attended where I haven't known the birthday person's mother. He was completely in charge of his EpiPen and inhaler. I did a quick check of the food and talked to the birthday boy's grandmother (who was delightful and very helpful), but otherwise he was on his own. (The only reason I didn't talk to the mother is because she looked so busy - 16ish boys and 6ish girls at the party! And it was a great party, very impressive!)

Anyway, I'm very proud of him. He is the best person to be in charge of it, but it's such a responsibility for a 7 (nearly) year old.

(He's only allegic to peanuts now but has very bad reactions in the past. Those were years ago, though. Luckily he remembers them, so knows what to look out for and remembers how the EpiPen works and I've shown him how to use it, of course. Hasn't used it on himself, though.)

tigermoth Sat 15-Jan-05 20:41:59

well done your son, jj. Isn't he growing up!

coincidently, we had a boy round here today who has a gluten allergy. He is a bit older than your son - just turned 9. His dad said all I had to do was ask him what he could and couldn't eat and he would be able to tell me. And he did!

LIZS Sat 15-Jan-05 20:47:16

Well done ds1 !

btw how is life in uk going, JJ ?

ladymuck Sat 15-Jan-05 20:47:23

That's good news JJ! You should be very proud of ds. It's good to know that he can be so responsible.

Just wondering - is there a saline solution or something that you can use as "practice" for the Epipen? Not that I imagine a 7 year old will want to practice on themselves, but at least you and he will both know that he can do it if he has to?

JJ Sun 16-Jan-05 12:05:03

Thanks. I was so happy -- it's such a big step, I think.

tigermoth, it is amazing how aware kids can be when they need to be! It really helps that he remembers the reactions and knows why he needs to avoid them.

LIZS, going very well here! The boys are settled in at school and nursery. We're still not unpacked, but as we need to buy a house, it seems a bit pointless. Are you still coming back this year?

Ladymuck, he has used a trainer - it's a pen without the needle. It's an autoinjection pen and very easy to use. I also let him use the out of date ones on apples to get the feel. They're such great things!

suzywong Sun 16-Jan-05 12:07:13

that is a big step, and well done dd1

suzywong Sun 16-Jan-05 12:07:29

ds1 even

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now