Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

18 month old with eczema - please help!

(7 Posts)
dashboardconfessionals Fri 16-May-08 13:09:08

Message withdrawn

HereComeTheGirls Fri 16-May-08 13:15:28

could he have developed an allergy to the products? I would see if it eases without them and then try to get something else!!

samnollimum Fri 16-May-08 15:01:22

hi My DS had similar at that age, now 3 and almost free of eczema, I found the Hydrocortisone just made it worse,

things that worked for him that might also work for you,

calendula cream, by brand called Jurlique
oil in bath
A few sessions of acupuncture and homeopathy.

\i found you had to wean him off the hydrocortisone or the eczema just really flared up worse than ever.

kept him off dairy products too, supplemented with soya milk instead.

hope that helps as I know how distressing this condition can be.

twotimes Sat 17-May-08 11:29:05

It could be that you are trying to many different branded products at the same time. He may have an allergy to one or maybe even all of them.

Try either cutting down on some or using something a little simpler.

You could try baby shea from this website which is really good for treating eczema and is natural and organic. Also you could try just putting a basic oil like jojoba oil in the bath.

Oh also oat baths are quite good for eczema and really soothing.

wedgeitt Thu 31-Jul-08 21:17:53

We find Balneum soya oil works very well on our son. You can get it on prescription and we also smother him in aqueous cream twice a day which really helps keep his skin moist. If he does get a patch, which is usually on his feet or behind his knees, we use 1% hydrocortisone on it for a day or two. I also find bathing him every other day rather than every single day helps too.

lankyesme Thu 31-Jul-08 21:36:53

Dairy free has worked wonders for my DS 17m. Also waitrose baby bottom butter as an emollient. He still has hydrocortisone almost daily but dairy free has REALLY made an impact. Also Little Protectors glove thingies are wonderful to prevent scratch damage.

gigglewitch Thu 31-Jul-08 21:50:01

if you are prepared to get referred to a dietician <bear with me, i've not gone totally mad> we find that goats milk rather than cows works well for our dc, but they have a dairy intolerance anyway and they're all allergy-type-people. I also wondered as others say whether you are using too many things at once - which is really tempting to do as you just want him cured, but you might be better going down to complete basics, bath him in plain water, aveeno or oilatum bath twice a week maybe. Introduce things one at a time and see if they work, if they don't then stop and leave it a couple of days before trying something else. I'm no expert but basic elimination looks like the way to go skin-wise (and also maybe keep a food diary to see if there are obvious triggers in there?) Also check out what you are washing his clothes and bedding in, and never touch fabric softener because it irritates many folk with eczema. Also go for cotton clothes as much as possible.
wishing you luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now