Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Surcare and Eczema

(13 Posts)
melon1 Thu 30-Dec-04 21:26:23

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think I may have cracked it with dd's eczema. It started two months ago (she's four months) and I have tried loads of different creams and six different washing powders. Saw Surcare in the supermarket and as a last resort thought I'd give it a try, and shes's been clear since I started using it! Quite annoyed with hv and doctor - hv was intent on changing milk, and the doctor told me to keep putting hydrocortisone on her - neither of them had even heard of surcare.

pixiefish Thu 30-Dec-04 21:47:23

How long have you been using it melon? Am very interested as dd has horrible eczema on her face- we also have tried a lot of thingsa nd are dairy free at the moment. It clears up for a bit but then comes back whenever something sets it off- teething, a cold this week. Since we've been dairy free it's better and doesn't bother her as much but she still gets it.

melon1 Thu 30-Dec-04 21:51:48

Been using it for a week - normally dd wil have some hydrocortisone (only thing that clears it up) but within 2-3 days she flares up again - I think it's just that she's triggered by the fragrance - the only products she has is Oilatum in the bath, Diprobase over her body and Aveeno on her face - I'm just trying to stay clear of anything fragranced. What washing powder do you use? Do you use softener?

pixiefish Thu 30-Dec-04 21:54:59

I use and always have used Fairy-

I tried not using softener but then her clother were getting hard and that was aggravating her face so now I use Ecover fabric conditioner which is plant based

melon1 Thu 30-Dec-04 22:01:56

TBH, from all the research that I have done (spent hours on the internet), threads on Mumsnet, talking to people who have eczema (or their kids do) and most importantly trying it myself, no-one has had a good word to say about Fairy with regard to eczema. I found it made dd's eczema worse. I know there are different types of eczema (I'm pretty sure dd's is just infantile and she will grow out of it), but in most cases there is a trigger (particular products, teething etc.) Anything is worth a try! BTW, Surcare also do a fabric conditioner which is pretty good - I wash the whole family's clothes with Surcare to avoid contaminating dd's clothes!

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 30-Dec-04 22:52:43

We're a Surcare household - both the washing powder and softener. Ds1 has had no problems with his eczema since I started using it when he was 5 months old. His eczema was not very severe though, but it was troublesome.

misdee Thu 30-Dec-04 22:53:00

i've been using surcare for ages. i just wish they did huge boxes of it, would mean less trips to the supermarket for me lol.

I am currently trying ecover, but dd2 hands have flared up since i started using it, so wil lgo back to surcare asap.

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 30-Dec-04 22:54:28

misdee, I wish there were larger boxes and bottles of it too!

misdee Thu 30-Dec-04 22:54:56

Maybe we shoud write to the makers, asking for larger packets.

melon1 Fri 31-Dec-04 09:42:27

Like your ds Puff, dd's eczema was not very severe. Was Surcare recommended to you by hv or doctor? When the eczema is not that bad, I think triggers like perfumed products should be quite obvious (to healthcare professionals!) yet I found this out on my own - they didn't have a clue. Doctor told me to just keep using hydrocortisone!

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 31-Dec-04 09:48:46

Melon, like you, it was trial and error on my part. It seems obvious to me now, but at the time I was a new Mum and had no access to a computer and the wonders of something like Mumsnet (how did I survive ).

I think gp's can be too ready to hand out the medication when some sensible advice could be the answer.

charlie95 Mon 14-Mar-05 13:50:54

i have just switched back to surcare for ds's clothes. only 4 wks at most and noticed difference to skin on his legs alrerady.

surcare is currently on offer in wilkinsons - fabric conditioner BOGOF for 88p. and the small box of washing tablets, buy 2 boxes for 2.99 (usually 2.15 for one)! bargains.

red82 Thu 28-Jul-05 12:46:02

Hey,

I noticed your discussions on big boxes of Surcare and i just thought i'd let you know there are large boxes of Surcare in Costco! I know this is a wholesaler but if you take a utility bill with you i think it only costs about a pound to get in... Prob best to check with the one in your area to find out costs and what you'll need to take but definately an idea if you're still after a big box!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now