Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

eczema and vaccinations

(8 Posts)
ratbunny Tue 19-Feb-08 20:52:49

apologies if this has been covered before - I did a search and found nothing!

Ds (12 mo) had his hib and men c booster last week. now his eczema, which was pretty much clear, is the worst I have ever seen it. I am using hc pretty much all over, but it makes no difference. he has milk and soya allergy, but he was so clear that we were doing a dairy challenge (100% sure its not caused this massive flare). intil the vax made his red all over.

sad

any advice? has anyone experienced the same thing?

suiledonn Thu 21-Feb-08 22:31:50

My dd (21 months) developed eczema at 2 months old after her first set of vaccinations. It has always been on my mind that the vaccinations could have set it off. She was a small baby at birth (6lbs) and I think that the first vaccination, a 5-in-1 was too much for her system to take. Her eczema had really cleared up recently but since she had her MMR a few weeks ago she has had a small flare-up. I don't know of any medical research into this but I would be interested to hear if others have had a similar experience.

ratbunny Fri 22-Feb-08 13:49:27

I took ds to an allergy clinic today, and the dr said that jabs stimulate the immune system, so will often cause eczema to flare...

so, there we are, an answer!

ImpyChica Fri 22-Feb-08 20:17:30

Thanks for this thread! DS (20 months) had never had any major skin problems - until his last set of vax a week ago... I was wondering if that was what had set it off (scratchy spots around neck and inside arm). I put him on soya milk and they seemed to have calmed down - but that maybe just the vaccination working its way out his system... relieved I not the only one wondering about a connection! Let's hope all our babes' skin clears up soon!

stuffitllama Fri 22-Feb-08 20:26:57

There is evidence that children without vax are less atopic. Jabs are such a major hit on the immune system. I think "stimulate" is an odd word to use, I would say provoke and bewilder but there you are that's my cards on the table. Anyway, there is evidence not just on skin rashes immediately following, which yes could be minor vax virus rashes, but in the long term.

greycat Thu 05-Feb-09 20:00:35

dd is 3 now. she had mmr at 14months. she cought chicken pox a month later and was very nearly hospitalised as she was so poorly. she had a little dry skin previous to this. The last 2 years have been horrendous. the poor mite has suffered terribly with severe eczema over her whole body. i am sure this was caused by her immune system being over loaded by the vaccine. would be really interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experience? thanks for reading!

SleeplessinSwansea Sat 13-Jun-09 22:07:29

ds had a terrible flare up after MMR. I think it doesn't help. He is OK now after anitbiotics and steroid cream but I am a bit worried about how he will cope now we are stopping all the drugs.

VelvetCushions Sat 13-Jun-09 22:31:55

Some vaccines do contain lactose and egg protein ( and a host of other substances) so it could be a reaction to one of the ingredients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now