Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergic to fruit...

(53 Posts)
OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 22:12:01

Now i know I'm not the only one who doesnt drink all day!! Is anyone else allergic to apples/fruit?
I never used to be, and am gutted because I love apples!! If I eat an apple my throat swells and itches like mad - inside and out and my gums itch as well. It's the same with pears etc but not bananas/kiwis/grapes/oranges - they're all fine!!
I can drink apple juice or eat apple pies - just not actual apples!!

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 22:15:33

Maybe its something to do with a certain type of pesticide they spray on apples? Try peeling them first, or buying organic. But you are a bit wierd...

SenoraPostrophe Sun 05-Dec-04 22:15:37

what a shame.

Still, could be worse - could be strawberries!

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 22:21:11

heehee thanks Poo!! Have tried peeling them, washing them, makes no difference. Only thing i can think of is that the pesticides soak into them.
Strawberries get me a bit unless i wash them loads and cover them in cream!!!

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 22:22:36

Oh, just give up and eat the bananas. Wierdo.

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 22:25:57

lol thats my plan - dosent help that dp sticks apples in front of me threatening to kill me!!!

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 22:29:04

Just throw them at the back of his head when he turns round, and tell him that it's his own fault. If he had brought you a nice banana it wouldn't have hurt so much.

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 22:30:42

pmsl good plan!!!!

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 22:34:22

You could get a bazooka effect if you used a handful of grapes. Or a mild concussion with a navel orange.

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 22:35:21

lol i like you!!!!!!

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 22:38:56

Kiwi would probably just splatter on impact though, and you'd only have to clear up after. Now a tin of Del Monte fruit cocktail, THAT would work. Like you too, even if you are wierd.[Poo2 looks at floor and trails toes back and forth in embarrasment. Then skips off to fruit bowl for more ammo]

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 22:43:01

lol the tin of del monte would work a treat - especially if i didnt open the tin

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 22:46:14

How about one of those posh french apple flan things? I bet he would have a reaction to the apples in it if you smacked him with it hard enough.

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 22:49:19

you've obviously seen some of my other posts and understand how much of a flan-smacking he needs pmsl

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 22:55:08

Hmm - pears. Interesting how they start out quite narrow and pointy, then broaden out to the bulbous part...

xmashampermunker Sun 05-Dec-04 22:59:11

Yes - I'm just the same. I'm allergic to apples, cherries, peaches, plums and possibly (in the last week I noticed this, albeit mildly) pears. It makes no difference if they're peeled or organic - they still give me the itchy throat and gums!

Do you get hayfever too? Have a look at oral allergy syndrome

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 22:59:45

lol thats just reminded me of a rude email i got the other day called wwhy did eve bite the apple'

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 23:00:35

Because you ate all the bananas?

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 23:02:02

And at the risk of being tacky, a web page on 'oral allergies' could be a little racier than you anticipate. Bet if you Googled on it you would get more information than you bargined for.

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 23:02:21

lol you'll see.......

Poo2 Sun 05-Dec-04 23:04:08

Thinking about it I would image that there are many MNrs who would react to foreign objects of a fruity nature being placed in their mouths (or indeed waved in front of their faces). Maybe you're not such a nutter after all.

xmashampermunker Sun 05-Dec-04 23:04:09

Poo2! Off to google it now

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 05-Dec-04 23:05:47

Why did Eve bite the apple? ........ here!

joashiningstar Sun 05-Dec-04 23:06:15

Hi OnZephyrstdayofXmas - Not trying to frighten you, but you should get this checked out. I have a nut allergy, but before I had a severe enough attack for it to be diagnosed, I used to have the same reaction to apples. Apparently, the wax used to spray apples before they are packed and transported to the shops contains something derived from nuts. Please get this checked.

xmashampermunker Sun 05-Dec-04 23:07:18

Oral allergy isn't that interesting when googled. [disappointed emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now