Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Intolerance/allergy/overreaction?

(10 Posts)
dirtymonkey Thu 04-Oct-07 10:58:23

I'm not sure if this is an intolerance rather than an allergy or if I am over reacting unnecassrily
Some times when dd eats dairy products she will come out in a nettle rash where it has been in contact with her skin other days she won't, she is still at 8.5 bf as if it is an allergy or even an intolerance I don't want to aggravate it.
I am just worried if her skin reacts like this you think it could be irriating her insides too?
I'm sorry I am sure I am over reacting and you've all got serious allergies but I would like some reassurance/advice.
Many thanks.

Rosyspookily Thu 04-Oct-07 12:39:55

Not sure, serious allergies do often start in this way. So worth keeping an eye on it.

tatt Thu 04-Oct-07 14:47:27

what dairy products is she having? Keep a bottle of piriton handy.

Allergies to milk normally happen every time so it could be just coincidental. As she doesn't react every time if she was mine I'd keep her off milk but probably give cheese/ live yoghurt. They are less allergenic than fresh milk. I'd avoid ice-cream or chocolate as they may have nut protein. If she starts to get a rash every time ask for a referral and avoid milk until you get it. If you get any facial swelling call for an ambulance.

Sometimes with an intolerance the system can cope with a limited amount of a food but if fed too often it overwhelms you.

dirtymonkey Thu 04-Oct-07 20:37:01

We have tried her with milk in cerals (hot&cold), cheese and yoghurts.
She doesn't always react which makes me think/hope I am worrying about nothing but when she does it is usually just her face that goes red & blotchy. It looks like nettle rash the redness can last for anything from 5-40 mins. I just worrying that it may also being causing damage that I can't see and she can't tell me about.

MerlinsBeard Thu 04-Oct-07 20:39:29

keepa food diary of what you BOTH eat. it could be her reacting to something that you have eaten

tatt Thu 04-Oct-07 21:56:08

agree with keeping a food diary. She may be reacting to fresh milk but not cheese/ yoghurts or to something you've eaten.

You need to keep an eye on it but try not to get too upset - problems with milk are often outgrown by age.

williamsmummy Thu 04-Oct-07 21:58:28

No other symptoms?

I would heed the other posts about prition and future caution.
However children do have sensitve skins, some have a higher histame level on skin than others.

Is it purely contact areas reacting or speading and red flushing of skin under hives?

It could be dairy allergy , clasic, not intolerant, get medical advice if you can.

dirtymonkey Fri 05-Oct-07 09:01:25

I have spoken to our HV and doctor but as it seems so random they seem to think I am over reacting.
Our doctor was adament it did not matter what I was eating she said it has no affect on dd.
The HV visitor thinks as it is not a regular reaction she will grow out of it and I should carry on as we are but with caution!

ratfly Fri 05-Oct-07 09:27:09

Personally I would be cautious around dairy if this happened to mine, but keeping a diary of things she is in contact with would be a good start. Could it be weather? baths? airborne allergies? teething?

but... I recently talked to an allergist at the hospital about introducing foods into ds's diet. I said I was worried about peas, as his eczema got worse after he ate them once, but another time it didn't. He reckons that if it is an allergy then it would happen every time.

But apparently, it can take up to 3 days for an allergy to show up on the skin??? Not sure about that last bit, as it seems really unhelpful to show up days later..

edam Fri 05-Oct-07 09:33:43

The skin reaction would make me cautious, tbh, that does sound like an allergic symptom. But I am not a doctor. Fortunately most children who are allergic to milk grow out of it.

Try dropping some on her skin and see if you get an immediate reaction.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: