Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Possible Tomato Allergy? Help!

(22 Posts)
CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 28-Sep-07 21:33:27

My DS is 16.5months old and the last couple of times he's had food with tinned tomatoes (organic) in it, I've noticed he's had red marks on his chin where the sauce has dribbled down. I washed it all off and then immediately gave him some milk to dilute any of it that maybe irritating his throat etc.

However, I'm worried about this now. Do I cut out anything tomato based for good or do I just give it to him in a lot smaller quantities - I'm worried that if I cut it out completely and then re-introduce it at a later stage, it maybe completely worse.

He seems in no discomfort when eating it - no throat pain etc. Just the red mark on the chin.

Incidently, my sister can't eat raw tomatoes as they make her mouth blister...

Any thoughts would be appreciated -what do I tell the nursery etc

Many thanks

Crooks

bristols Fri 28-Sep-07 21:36:44

My DS is exactly the same. TBH, we have just carried on as normal. Like you, I worried that by cutting out tomatoes completely, we could be causing further troubles later on in life.

I think it's more of an intolerrance than an allergy. It doesn't bother him in the slightest. It's probably the acid in them that irritates the skin, but that's just a guess.

I just told nursery that if he eats tomatoes and gets a rash, not to worry! They said it's not uncommon and that they have another little boy with the same thing.

HTH

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 28-Sep-07 21:41:38

Thank you smile

You aren't from Bristol by any chance?

used2bthin Fri 28-Sep-07 22:52:36

I have come across a few children who have this crookshanks. Also a girl I used to work with got blisters like your sister when she had smirnoff ice, it only had to touch her apparently! I agree re the acid thing.

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 28-Sep-07 23:02:30

Oooh I'll try DS on Smirnoff Ice tmw....wink May get him to nap in the sodding day!

Will tell nursery though so they know to keep an eye out!

I really should be in bed but DH been such a miserable twat tonight I need some giggles!

used2bthin Fri 28-Sep-07 23:09:31

I should be asleep too, have ceased to notice when DD has been up in the night, people ask did she sleep last night and I have to think really hard, the nights all blend together...

used2bthin Fri 28-Sep-07 23:10:10

Is he stll all moody then?

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 28-Sep-07 23:10:38

I've got DH to do the morning shift tomorrow and he said write me a list and I'll go to Tescos and take DS which I'm pleased about ...but....scared he'll not keep a careful enough eye on DS in the trolley!!

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 28-Sep-07 23:12:08

Yes, still moody. Have had no TLC with this cold whatsoever! I was making a cup of tea and he said oh I wanted one later, can't you wait so I said....<frosty glare> no I can't! I've been coughing away up here but no sympathy from him...he just bleats well I'm just as tired as you are....but he doesn't go to bed early either - he's playing frigging Halo 3 atm!

used2bthin Fri 28-Sep-07 23:15:50

Tut! Not that we are being great, we'll be complaining of tiredness tomorrow...

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 28-Sep-07 23:18:39

Yes but we are sorting things out on here - I'm sorting out tomato allergy and you are sorting out housing...so in a way, 'tis beneficial.....whereas its been proven there is a link between excessive gaming and anti social'ness or what ever they call it...

Roffle!!

Nightynight Fri 28-Sep-07 23:24:15

I had this tomato allergy for a few years, from late teens to mid twenties. It is an allergy, becuase I had some skin prick tests in 2005, and tomato showed up as a half reaction.
I think that most children grow out of it.

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 28-Sep-07 23:25:25

You didn't get any anapalactic (sp!) type reactions to it?

Nightynight Sat 29-Sep-07 08:50:56

no, just rash around my mouth.

bristols Sat 29-Sep-07 22:09:04

Sorry, crookshanks, I posted then went to bed. A bit rude really. No, not in bristol. Bristols is an old nickname because I have quite a good pair of norks and it rhymes with my maiden name. (Rhyming slang; bristol citties - titties. Nice!)

christywhisty Sun 30-Sep-07 14:18:29

It is not an allergy if it's sore around the mouth. It is a reaction to the acidity of the tomatoes.

Nbg Sun 30-Sep-07 14:20:50

My dd had this at a similar age and it just cleared up.

I also founf different brands of tomato ketchup did it too.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 30-Sep-07 14:24:46

My dd used to get this. Her paed (seen for milk intolerance) said to carry on giving them to her anyway.

Heated Sun 30-Sep-07 14:30:40

I react to tomato juice/tomato plants and raw potato if they come in to contact with my skin but I can eat them, no problems.

Nightynight Sun 30-Sep-07 22:14:33

christy, I had skin prick tests a couple of years ago (long after the reaction stopped), and tomato showed up as a half reaction. Also, I ate acidic fruit like satsumas and oranges, without getting a reaction.

Sometimes, people really are allergic to food [amazed emoticon]

christywhisty Mon 01-Oct-07 18:08:10

Nightynight
Apologies I put it a bit bluntly, but I was really referring to toddlers with sore around the mouth after tomatoes. It is very common and it is the acidity of the tomato reacting with the saliva at that age and not normally an allergy.

I do know that people can have allergies, both my DS and DH are allergic to nuts and ds is allergic to various seeds and other things

Piccalilli2 Mon 01-Oct-07 18:18:16

My dd (2) gets this with tomatoes, but she loves them and it doesn't seem to bother her so I pretty much just ignore it - I don't think it's an allergy as such, just sensitive skin reacting with the acid or something in the tomatoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now