Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does anyone know a brand of bread that DOESNT use soya flour?

(13 Posts)
ratfly Fri 28-Sep-07 12:20:33

ds had his allergy tests today and is ok with wheat but not`soya. so i would like to give him bread, but all bread has soya flour in.

does anyone know one that doesn't and isn't that awful gluten free stuff?

starfish2 Fri 28-Sep-07 12:29:58

I don't know how far you are willing to go, but you can always bake your own bread, so you can choose what you put in it.
Some time ago the Guardian Family supplement had a very easy bread recipe that you just stick in the food processor and stick it in the oven... I tried it and it is very very good (disclaimer: I am not a sahm, I do not have loads of time to spare, and I do not normally enjoy baking). If you are interested I can look for the link for you...

EmsMum Fri 28-Sep-07 12:33:43

Get a breadmaker and then you know exactly what has gone into it. Thats what we do to avoid salt for DH's sake.

Its really really easy.

ratfly Fri 28-Sep-07 14:29:38

hmmm. dad suggested i bake my own bread too, but i did used to have a breadmaker and somehow always made really crap bread...

RubberDuck Fri 28-Sep-07 14:32:44

The Panasonic is the best, imo - lovely bread from that.

toomanyballs Fri 28-Sep-07 14:37:46

My friends DS can't do soya either (or dairy), will find out for you. I know he can have either tesco or sainsburys (sorry) basic style range ready to bake baguettes

ratfly Fri 28-Sep-07 14:45:07

toomanyballs - that would be fab! thanks!

toomanyballs Fri 28-Sep-07 14:46:05

Will probably be this evening smile

tatt Fri 28-Sep-07 19:18:39

don't know - have friends with a soy problem but they bake their own. They shop a lot in Marks for other foods.

goingfor3 Fri 28-Sep-07 19:23:35

I mix and rise the dough in the bread maker and then bake in the oven, much nicer than all done in the breadmaker.

catesmum Fri 28-Sep-07 20:31:53

Tesco's finest multigrain and their oatmeal bread doesn't contain soya. Waitrose also do a similar loaf that doesn't contain soya. Our dietician said that 75% of shop bought loaves do contain soya...but you need to be looking at wholegrain/brown loaves rather than white

ratfly Sun 30-Sep-07 18:41:23

Well, we had Tesco finest oatmeal bread as toast today. ds loved it! thanks for the recommendation.

toomanyballs Mon 01-Oct-07 12:54:01

Hi talked to my friend. She has a breadmaker. Might be worth finding a proper bakers shop.

Also you can buy a bread mix in tescos ( she thinks it has a geen and white package ) that you can easily make into rolls etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now