Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

scabby body

(10 Posts)
puffling Thu 27-Sep-07 23:29:54

Dp is prone to eczema-ish looking scabby rashes during hay fever time, but in the last few years he seems to get it worse and at other times of the year. His legs are covered in it at the moment and he feels really itchy. He puts it down to a change in the weather. I'm at a loss about what he can do. He is using creams prescribed by the doctor and has used steroid cream but it just seems to get worse. Any ideas gratefully received.

chloesmumtoo Fri 28-Sep-07 10:05:02

Hi puffling. Its not nice is it. I have a dd with eczema and very uncomfortable. Its all part of our daily life now with dd. You tend to forget all the steps you take as it becomes the normal if you know what I mean. Firstly wash clothes in a good liquid like surecare sensitive non bio and unperfumed. some people on here recommend soap nuts. Extra rinse all clothes to ensure removal of any traces left. Wash all bedding at 60 degrees to kill dustmites. Moisterise after every bath to trap in moisture. An antihistamine may help at night for him. Different pollen allergens are in the air all year round but also you could be rightt on the temperature change. What about stress. This can definely bring out eczema worse and possibly triggers can be foods worsening the eczema. When you use steriods if using a strong one you should not just stop using if but lower the strength for a while to enable your body to adjust. Else it can suddenly cause it to all come back again.

foxinsocks Fri 28-Sep-07 10:06:12

does he see a dermatologist?

chloesmumtoo Fri 28-Sep-07 10:09:59

What creams does he use?

chloesmumtoo Fri 28-Sep-07 12:09:09

we use diprobase cream emollient for a moisteriser and a dermol 500 lotion as a soap substitute. We see a dermatologist with dd. I have heard putting creams in fridge is soothing. Have not tried this with dd 5yrs, brr.........Cotton clothing is very important too.

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:11:34

My DD reacted to every single emolient she was given. Every frickin one. You should see my bathroom cabinet.
The only thing that I can put on her is coconut oil which is fab.
And I kept a food diary - as DS has intolerances ( real ones, not India Knight ones) - and found that several things trigger her reaction, including banana and rice milk.

puffling Fri 28-Sep-07 19:38:17

Thanks for all your replies. I shall pass them on to him.
We've got coconut oil for dd's scalp, so dp can try that.

pointydog Fri 28-Sep-07 19:49:22

try more steroid creams, more consistently?

Central heating has always aggravated dd2's eczema

chloesmumtoo Sat 29-Sep-07 08:23:32

Pagwag, yeah we have the banana allergy too.

tatt Sat 29-Sep-07 08:41:41

has he tried antihistamine creams to see if they help? Or probiotics as they have a good record for eczema? As you get older you're more likely to get problems with lactose so if he has dairy that could be part of it. Has he tried aveeno? Free sample offer here http://www.aveeno.co.uk/freesample/index.jhtml

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now