Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu jab?

(2 Posts)
Heartmum2Jamie Wed 26-Sep-07 14:05:15

I am in a bit of a quandry. My ds has a heart condition which qualifies him to have a flu jab, but he was also diagnosed with an egg allergy 18 months ago. For the last 2 winters, they have refused to vaccinate him, which was fine as he was still getting hives to accidental exposure to egg. For the last 4 months or so, my ds has had no reactions to accidental exposure, so my feeling is that he is oputgrowing this allergy.

I have an appointment for both of us at the flu clinic tomorrow, but although they have a fax from ds's cardiologist saying that it is in his best interests to have the jab, I was told earlier that he will only get the jab is the sister feels comfortable giving it. although she may be happy to write a script to take to the hospital. I personally feel that ds has a much higher risk of having serious complications from flu than he does of reacting badly to the jab.

Would you vaccinte your child if in my position and if yes, would you let the sister do it or just go to the hospital?

Twiglett Wed 26-Sep-07 14:19:51

yes I would vaccinate

but I would probably do it in a controlled environment .. if the sister has epipens available then I would be happy if she was happy, if not I'd probably go in under observation in the hospital

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now