Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any suggestions of food with gluten in but NOT wheat

(17 Posts)
wangle99 Sun 23-Sep-07 18:08:51

After seeing the dietician with DS, she agreed that if I felt that it was wheat not gluten causing DS problem then we should test it.

Not so easy trying to find food with gluten in and no wheat though!

So far we have tried and he won't eat ryvita, two rye cakes (with fruit and bits in), rye bread.

He is eating oaty cereal but that isn't true gluten is it?

If you have any other suggestions I'd be very grateful! Am happy to bake myself if anyone has recipes.

Thanks!

PS We think DS cannot tolerate wheat starch either.

Isababel Sun 23-Sep-07 18:16:17

Unfortunately, most things with glutten are those with wheat glutten in it.

TBH there are plenty of glutten free things but not so many that a child would agree to eat. We are using glutten free products were available and convenient(ie. cakes, biscuits, bread etc).

If what worries you is how to get more carbs into him my advice would be to suplement his diet with plenty of rice, corn or rice pasta, potatoes, etc. Corn flakes, Ready Brek, rice crispies, oatibix etc are also good alternatives.

DS had rice cakes instead of bread for quite a long time, he is now having corn biscuits instead.

If what you are looking for is for good sources of carbohidrates

Isababel Sun 23-Sep-07 18:17:13

last phrase shouldn't be there...

Chocolatedays Sun 23-Sep-07 18:21:00

Oats contain non-wheat gluten.

wangle99 Sun 23-Sep-07 18:27:35

Not trying to get more carbs, trying to prove to paediatrician that gluten isn't an issue!

Its really difficult finding foods though.

daisyandbabybootoo Sun 23-Sep-07 18:33:41

if you go to the "free from" section of your local supermarket there are a whole host of foods which are wheat free but not gluten free. these contain mostly oat gluten (whic some coeliacs can tolerate, me included) but some have barley and rye gluten in. I've seen breads, cereals, cakes, biscuits etc.

Natures Path cereals do a wheat free one (I think it is oat and rye flakes). I buy their mesa sunrise gluten free flakes which are delicious.

Can be found in tesco and sainsburys but not asda.

daisyandbabybootoo Sun 23-Sep-07 18:36:08

Some useful information and recipes HERE

wangle99 Sun 23-Sep-07 18:44:33

thanks daisy.... will check out the recipes. Unfortunately our local free from at the supermarket only had two things which didn't have wheat but gluten which were the two cakes I bought that DS hated!!!

I can bake though so that will be really helpful - thanks

Isababel Sun 23-Sep-07 18:47:47

Wangle... after years of hitting my head against a wall to convince DS's GP and paediatrician about DS's allergies I have got to the point where I feel no longer the need to convince them I'm not imagining the things. If I am sure there is a problem because I have seen the reactions again and again, I just remove the offensive food and try to find suitable alternatives to replace it so DS's nutrition doesn't suffer.

I do get my credibility back at DS's yearly tests, when the doctor finally says... oh... you were right! angry it never fails, but at least I don't need to put DS through more discomfort just because they don't believe there is a problem, after all how are they meant to know about it if they only spend a few minutes with him a year?

BTW. DS is allergic to wheat but not to glutten.

daisyandbabybootoo Sun 23-Sep-07 18:48:29

there are lots of internet shops where you can order stuff as well wangle....I've ordered from here before.

It's all very confusing though I must admit. I'm coeliac and its hard enough for me as an adult dealing with it...must be 10x worse for a child.

good luck with it smile

goingfor3 Sun 23-Sep-07 18:58:11

Thai sticky rice is glutenous as it's the gluten that makes it sticky.

daisyandbabybootoo Sun 23-Sep-07 19:20:38

sorry goingfor3 there's absolutely no gluten in rice....if there was me and a million other coeliacs would be very ill indeed!

afaik it's the cooking it with rice vinegar that makes it sticky.

goingfor3 Sun 23-Sep-07 19:27:34

I thought there was as some rice is called glutenous rice, sorryblush

Isababel Sun 23-Sep-07 20:19:42

I think it is glutinous (sticky) rice rather than glutenous rice.

Isababel Sun 23-Sep-07 20:20:12

smile

clerkKent Mon 24-Sep-07 12:46:44

You could try him on beer or lager - gluten from barley but no wheat. Of course too much will make him ill regardless of the gluten.

Many cereals have malt flavouring and are banned for coeliacs e.g. corn flakes.

wangle99 Thu 27-Sep-07 12:31:49

We went to our local health food shop the other day and found some things that did have gluten in but not wheat - rye choc chip cookies are a fave, special cereal, fruity breakfast bar type things as well. DS has loved all of them!!

So I think we can say now that it is definately not gluten just wheat causing his digestive problems.

Now just got to work out how to afford to feed him lol! Thanks for various bits of advice over last few months grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now