Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone used Dead Sea Salt to help with Excema?

(7 Posts)
TwoToTango Sat 15-Sep-07 12:01:21

Only I was shopping yesterday and was stopped in a shopping centre by a lady with a stall selling Dead Sea products. She put a teaspoon of dead sea salt mixture on my hands which I rubbed in where my excema was - she then washed it off and I could see there was a visable improvement and even 24 hrs later the redness is virtually non existant and skin is smoother. She also had some dead sea moisturiser. They do seem good but each product was £20 although apparently enough in there to last for 12 months. I am quite tempted to go back and get some (got to be better than steroid cream) but before I part with £40 I wondered if anyone else had ever heard off/tried any of these type of products.

Neverenoughhandbags Sat 15-Sep-07 12:10:28

No not heard of this before TTT but it makes sense that as eczema is a dry skin condition, salt presumably exfoliated the dryness.
I wonder what is actually in it? You could be on to something if you can afford it.

TwoToTango Sat 15-Sep-07 12:22:03

I looked at the ingredients and it was mainly dead sea salt - put the mixture had the texture of a rock salt type of paste. I asked her why I couldn't use normal rock salt and she said that it was because the dead sea contained lots of minerals which were good for the skin. she started of by telling me the products were £30 each - but said as they hadn't had many customers I could have them for £20 - I was really only interested in the salt rub as I could use my own hydrous ointment as a moisturiser. I tried to negotiate down to £15 but she was having none of it! I am 90% convinced but just hate the thought of spending £20 and buying a mixture which just contains normal salt IYSWIM. To be honest if it's what she says I would find the £20 but if I was being ripped off I would be gutted as £20 is a lot of money. Anyone else heard of or tried it?

Neverenoughhandbags Sat 15-Sep-07 12:28:37

Yeah I wondered why ordinary salt wouldn't work-in fact thinking of it, for psoriasis you can use a product containing salicylic acid which works by its abrasive effect.
If I were you I'd mix a bit of rock salt with some aqueous cream and see if that had same effect!grin

Pimmpom Wed 19-Sep-07 15:06:02

I have read that dead sea salts are good for eczema. I know Boots sell them - 100% pure dead sea salt. It may be worth you pricing them up there. smile

Chloesmumtoo Thu 20-Sep-07 12:20:05

I did used some as a friend gave it for me to try on dd. She was only very tiny at the time and although I thought it helped a little it certainly didnt cure it or make it go away. The price it cost was to much and so when it ran out I stopped. After a while I used to think how on earth I used that on her as she will even sting in tap water now but perhaps she was not as bad at that point. I would imagine it could make it quite uncomfortable

Eliza2 Mon 01-Oct-07 13:16:17

Dead Sea Salts do help my son's dry skin. They aren't just normal salts as they contain many different minerals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now