Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hypoallergenic Formula Types?

(8 Posts)
cheethaz Fri 14-Sep-07 15:32:37

Hi,
Can someone tell me why the GP is so reluctant to at least try one of the milk/soya free formulas with my 7 mth old? Nasty excema that requires daily dose of 1% Hydrocortisone to stop her going mad trying to scratch. She is almost (but not quite) totally breastfed and I'm game to give up diary for a few weeks to see if it helps but I keep being told that this could not be the problem? Meanwhile am heading back to work soon and very nervous about giving her more formula in case it is the cows milk that is causing the excema. Any recommendations for a hypoallergenic formula also welcome. Thanks,
Cheethaz

Neverenoughhandbags Fri 14-Sep-07 15:49:19

Probably feels breast milk least likely to cause eczema of all the options. Prob if baby was FF it would be prescribed.
Assume you are using lots of emollients as well as HC and absolutely no soap or fabric conditioner(the work of the devil as far as dermatologists are concerned)
Might be an idea to ask for a referral to nurse-led eczema clinic for children if there is one.They are great.

cheethaz Sat 15-Sep-07 07:39:30

Didn't know such a thing existed - will ask. She does get a few ounces of formula milk - in baby rice or when I have to miss a feed...She used to get a bottle of formula a day at bedtime but that has decreased since I tried to go back to feeding her as much as possible to limit formula milk. The excema started a month or so after we introduced the formula bottle at bedtime so originally thought it could not be the cause but now wonder if it was a delayed reaction?
Thanks for info.

ratfly Sun 16-Sep-07 21:54:02

I was mixed feeding ds when his eczema began - it was only be a chance chat with a dietician (long story, but I made myself a PITA, and now have appointments at dermatology, dietician and allergy clinics grin ) that we noticed the link.

Ds now has Pepti and his eczema is mostly clear. I advise REALLY pushing to try out a hypoallergenic formula - you only need 1 tin to see if it has any effect....

Beachcomber Sun 16-Sep-07 22:09:54

Both my DDs had excema that was helped enormously by my giving up dairy foods. It is always worth a try. If this is the case then you will need to look into hypoallergenic formula.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 16-Sep-07 22:18:57

If you want to be sure whether or not dairy is the cause, then the only way is to eliminate dairy completely from her (and therefore also your) diet for at least 2 weeks.

If you want a milk just to mix with baby rice then use rice or oat milk with added calcium (not suitable as a formula at that age, as not nutritious enough, but fine just for mixing with bits of solids).

I would imagine that the doctor is reluctant to prescribe the very expensive formula when it will not give you a conclusive answer, as your dd will still be getting dairy via your milk.

You can, however, purchase Nutramigen (and presumably the others too) from a pharmacy (may have to order it in for you) if you really want to. Be aware that babies often refuse them when they are used to something else though, as they both smell and taste absolutely vile.

tatt Mon 17-Sep-07 09:00:47

Don't try soya milk yourself as it is a common allergen and if your child developes a soy allergy it is a real pain. It's also been linked to nut allergy.

Gps are just poorly trained and reluctant to consider food allergy because they hear lots of stories of misdiagnosis. A tin of Pepti Junior is cheaper than nutramigen so he might be more willing to try that. My friends with a milk and soy allergic child tell me it tastes and smells less revolting than nutramigen.

You could also give your child a probiotic. If you google or search mumsnet you'll find it often helps eczema.

Isababel Mon 17-Sep-07 09:11:16

We tried different formulas but none helped DS's eczema much, other problems were sorted but the eczema remained.

If you want to try a lactose-free one, SMA is selling one over the counter. If it works you may convince your GP to prescribe it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now