Talk

Advanced search

Allergy advice

(7 Posts)
user1470583286 Fri 10-Apr-20 18:41:03

Hi. My little boy is 2 next month and we have just realised that he has a food aversion to baked beans, tomatoes soup, ketchup and todays food was beetroot. The only thing that’s is in all of these foods is spirit vinegar so we think we have found the cause. His face has come up very very red and angry looking, he rubs his tongue too as if something’s burning him but no other symptoms, given him piriton and just waiting for that to work. Have attached a photo, when he ate the beans this red mark was as though he had a mask on, almost like beard.Does anyone have any experience of this?? Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
dragonicicle Fri 10-Apr-20 18:43:49

Is it barley? That is usually within spirit vinegar. If you think you've got the cause eliminate immediately. Reactions can worsen. And speak to your GP, despite covid, you need medical input on how to manage this- keep photo evidence of any further reactions.

dragonicicle Fri 10-Apr-20 18:44:20

Just realised you said baked beans which don't contain barley though! Sorry!

LegoNinjago Fri 10-Apr-20 18:53:03

Tomato (nightshades) allergy?
Not sure about beetroot. Though allergic individuals are usually allergic to more than 1 food group so it can be separate allergy.

user1470583286 Fri 10-Apr-20 18:58:17

It's strange because he can eat cherry tomatoes, tinned and also tomato purée. So we know it's not the tomatoes that he's allergic too.

OP’s posts: |
LegoNinjago Sat 11-Apr-20 10:08:06

You can ask your GP to refer your boy for allergy test, once lockdown is over.
Until then keep a diary of what he eats = reaction it causes.
To check if it’s actually vinegar, maybe worth dapping a tiniest drop of vinegar with a cotton bud on the inner part of his arm and see if it causes redness. Make sure he hasn’t had any antihistamines for few days prior to this.
My DC has multiple allergies but I’ve never heard of vinegar allergy, though, having said that, everything is possible .
Rubbing tongue is not in fact burning, but incredibly strong itching sensation. Keep checking his lips and tongue for any swelling.

LegoNinjago Sat 11-Apr-20 10:10:43

Urgh, autocorrect: dapping = applying.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in