Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CATERPILLAR ALLERGY - Is it common? Any advice

(4 Posts)
drosophila Wed 29-Aug-07 18:14:41

DD had reaction today to what is believed to be a caterpillar. It was on her ear and her ear has swelled. I have given piriton and sprayed with wasp ease and she is a lot better. I had never heard of such a reaction and thought they were harmless. Having done a google it keeps bringing up reference to a dangerous caterpillar in London from Central Europe.

Can you get a reaction like this to a more ordinary caterpillar. I am worried as it happened in the nursery and it's possible that if it is this nasty caterpillar it is going to be around for a while. It was her first day at a new nursery too.

dustystar Wed 29-Aug-07 18:16:15

Quite afew caterpillars can give a rash - they're usually the hairy ones.

dustystar Wed 29-Aug-07 18:17:07

I don't think any in this country are dangerous really although the rash might be uncomfortable

drosophila Wed 29-Aug-07 18:27:19

Thanks. It's typical of the internet to call up the worst possibloe contender. It's still swollen but not near as red and she is a lot happier.

I felt really sorry for the Nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now