Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Trying my baby on wheat - what do I need to look out for?

(4 Posts)
ratfly Thu 23-Aug-07 13:15:06

I would like to try ds on wheat. He is 7 months old, and is dairy free, and we are proceeding slowly because of potential allergies.
The dietician said to introduce it between 7 and 8 months, so I may as well do it now...

So what should I look out for if he is allergic to it? So far, his eczema is exacerbated by some food - banana (?!), dairy and possibly soy. Would gluten allergy manifest in the same way or should I look for other things too?

iwouldgoouttonight Thu 23-Aug-07 13:28:49

My mum and MIL have ceoliac disease so we were careful introducing gluten to DS too - you also need to look out for diarrhoea (don't know how to spell!) and being more sleepy than normal - generally being unwell. We just introduced it very gradually - only in one meal every few days.

tribpot Thu 23-Aug-07 13:44:00

My ds' (and indeed dh's) reaction to wheat is diarrhoea / wind / really horrible smelling poops. (Sorry for TMI).

Ds' reaction to oats is eczema, however. Dh can tolerate oats.

tatt Fri 24-Aug-07 07:13:45

diarrhoea or sleepiness. Failure to gain weight can be a sign too but some coeliac children do weigh a normal amount. If a problem does develop it may be intolerance rather than being coeliac so you may want to stop and try again later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now