Talk

Advanced search

Oral Amoxicillin challenge, can we have skin test instead?

(3 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Thu 24-Oct-19 13:57:28

Does anyone here have experience with amoxicillin allergy and skin testing /oral challenge? My 7 year old had mild hives after a couple of doses of amoxicillin last year and allergy consultant referred her for an oral challenge. Is it not possible to have a skin test instead? I'm really not keen on giving her antibiotics when she doesn't need them. Antibiotics have totally wrecked my gut and I've had a scary experience of difficult bacteria that was resistant to multiple antibiotics hence why I'm so concerned. From a Google search it seems a skin test is possible and usually the first port of call, so why would the consultant refer straight to an oral challenge? Thanks in advance.

OneHanded Tue 29-Oct-19 03:00:33

This really surprises me as when I was on amoxicillin they advised me most people have a hives reaction to it when they prescribed it? She said give it a few weeks and if anything else progresses (ie, throat swelling, excess vomiting, etc) to call her.

OhWhatAPalaver Thu 31-Oct-19 15:43:55

Oh ok, how weird! I've had it but never had hives with it before. Maybe they're being cautious because she's allergic to a lot of other stuff as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »