Talk

Advanced search

Flying with Epipen

(13 Posts)
GrahamNortonsjacket Tue 22-Oct-19 22:17:51

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of flying with an epipen in carry on luggage? I am flying out of Luton tomorrow and have only just thought that this might be a problem!

It's for DD3, I will put one in checked baggage, but wanted to take one on the plane. I have the box with the pharmacy sticker on with her name, I am hoping this will be sufficient for them to let us through security.

Does anyone know if it will?

StillRunningWithScissors Tue 22-Oct-19 22:21:03

We've never had a problem with epi pens. We put them in the tray (not inside the carry on bag) so they can clearly see it.

I always carry the original letter prescribing them, but have never in nine years been asked to show it.

GrahamNortonsjacket Tue 22-Oct-19 22:27:21

Thanks Still, that's reassuring!

MyOtherProfile Tue 22-Oct-19 22:28:47

It does say at Luton that if you are flying with syringes you need a medical letter. Perhaps the same would be a good move with an EpiPen?

UpToonGirl Tue 22-Oct-19 22:31:31

Yes, flown a few times with one and it's not been a problem.

Assuming it's an allergy to nuts or something similar if you ask the staff during check in they will put out an announcement to other passengers when you're on board requesting they don't consume the food in question.

Cappucinoextrachocolate Tue 22-Oct-19 22:41:28

I always had them scanned separately, never had a problem. Please don't check any in, they must be kept at maximum 25 degrees.

GrahamNortonsjacket Tue 22-Oct-19 22:55:00

Cappucino, we're flying to Ireland, the 25 degree maximum will not be a problem!

Thanks everyone - I am going to chance it.

GaraMedouar Tue 22-Oct-19 22:59:22

My DS has epipens. I always take 2 in hand luggage, no prescription or anything. I put them in the little plastic bag and stick them through the tray to be viewed. Never had a problem and never asked for prescription.

Neolara Tue 22-Oct-19 23:01:51

We always fly with epipens in hand luggage and have never had a problem. I had to throw away my pitaton though despite having a letter from doctor.

Missannelliot Tue 22-Oct-19 23:19:15

I would definitely take both in your hand luggage. One of the reasons you get prescribed 2 is in case one fails. It will be no good to you in the hold if you need it.

I’m sure you will be fine without a medical letter but if you have the repeat prescription order slip take that with you as must airlines except that as proof (although if it has a pharmacy label on it you should be fine!)

MyOtherProfile Wed 23-Oct-19 05:17:33

we're flying to Ireland, the 25 degree maximum will not be a problem!
I think they meant don't put them in your luggage as temperatures can be quite extreme in the hold, rather than don't let them get too hot in Ireland! Although actually the hold tends to be very cold rather than very hot...

Elbowedout Wed 23-Oct-19 23:29:33

One of my children has an EpiPen. I always take 2 on holiday, always in hand luggage and I have never had a problem. We flew with Easyjet this year and I noticed at the last minute that they had a warning on the website that you need a doctors letter if you are carrying any prescription drugs. Since that applies to both me and my son I had to beg the GP's receptionist to get it done (and pay £25 each). Naturally nobody asked to see the letters. hmm Technically I think you are supposed to have a letter but I think it is highly unlikely that an airport official is going to take an EpiPen off you if it is labelled up as yours and/or you have the repeat prescription slip with you. If you were trying to pass off 200 loose oxycodone tablets as your personal prescribed meds you might have a problem, but an EpiPen...unlikely. wink
Enjoy your trip.

GrahamNortonsjacket Thu 24-Oct-19 09:29:24

Thanks everyone. I took both pens on board and didn't have a problem. The CAA website does say that epi-pens are allowed on board too, so I will be less stressed next time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »