Talk

Advanced search

DS2 (6) has a peanut allergy. Is he likely to develop anaphylaxis? Should I be doing anything special?

(8 Posts)
yellowallpaper Thu 10-Oct-19 20:42:51

So far he comes up in hives around his mouth if he comes near peanuts or hummus (I kissed him after eating peanut butter and he came out in hives). It clears with antihistamine syrup, but I don't know if he's likely to become worse. What do I do? Do I need to ask the GP for some test of other?

itsgettingweird Thu 10-Oct-19 20:44:35

If you suspect a nut allergy that hasn't already been confirmed by gp then you definitely need to go.

In the meantime cut all nuts from your diet, the household and warn anyone who comes into contact he may have a peanut allergy.

Allergic reactions can get worse with each exposure as the antibodies develop against the allergen it can react quicker.

wtftodo Thu 10-Oct-19 20:45:47

There aren’t any peanuts in hummus so is it possible he is also reacting to sesame? It’s another common allergy.

I would take him to GP. Particularly if he is “atopic” ie has or had eczema, and asthma or viral wheeze, they should refer him to allergy clinic for testing.

In the meantime avoid totally.

PeopleMover Thu 10-Oct-19 20:47:47

You need to go to your GP for a referral for allergy testing.

And yes he could have an anaphylactic reaction, so avoid all nuts/peanuts until you know exactly what he is allergic too.

MAFIL Fri 11-Oct-19 15:37:14

Yes, you definitely need to see your GP.
Bear in mind that peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes. So whilst it is possible to be allergic to both peanuts and tree nuts (my son is) a more likely cross sensitivity is with other legumes such as lentils, peas etc. So the reaction to hummus could be to chickpeas, though as a previous poster mentioned, sesame is another common allergen.
Either way, you need to get him tested and he may need to carry an adrenaline auto injector.

yellowallpaper Fri 11-Oct-19 20:05:35

DS2 has quite bad excema as a toddler and has inhalers (blue and brown) for a wheeze, so he definitely in the allergy ball park sad

Definitely reacts easily to peanuts so definite allergy.

Thanks I'll push the GP for testing. Antihistamines settle the hives quite well but I do feel a bit like it's only a matter of time. So bloody pissed off with this as it's quite a serious situation and I have a severely disabled older child to care for ☹️☹️☹️☹️

LaserShark Fri 11-Oct-19 20:12:08

Yes, I have a child with eczema and asthma who had an anaphylactic reaction out of the blue which was very scary and how we found out he has a nut allergy - all nuts including peanuts as it turns out. However, once you get tested and have an auto-injector, you will feel more in control. Go to your GP and cut nuts out completely until you know for definite. Avoid hummus, sesame seeds, legumes perhaps to be on the safe side as well. It’s horrible and stressful and scary but Piriton and auto-injectors are literal lifesavers and it’s so much better to know.

MAFIL Fri 11-Oct-19 21:16:40

Sorry to be a harbinger of doom @yellowallpaper but the additional atopic history makes it all the more important that you see the doctor about this fairly soon. Even though the reactions have been managed successfully with antihistamines so far, they may get more severe and asthma plus even relatively mild reactions to nuts or peanuts used strong indication for carrying an auto injector.
The previous poster is right though, once you know exactly what you are dealing with and have the drugs and the training, you will almost certainly feel better about it.
I can empathise - my 14 year old son has been the classic "allergic march" child, starting with a bit of eczema as a baby, then developing asthma, allergic rhinitis, multiple IgE mediated allergies to foods and environmental allergens and eosinophilic esophagitis and colitis as he has grown up. Yet some of my family still reckon that "all this allergic stuff is a fad" hmm I am sure it is little comfort to you at the moment, but allergen avoidance is much easier than it used to be, with better labelling and increased awareness. There is still plenty of room for improvement of course but things are heading in the right direction. We'd managed 11 years without accidental nut exposure until I stuffed up with a misread label few months ago. That taught me not to get complacent I can tell you! It does get easier with time, at least in part because in my experience at least, children with allergies soon learn to question everything themselves and you dont have to have eyes in the back of your head in case they grab something when you are distracted. That said, I will still be a cat on a hot tin roof next year when my DS goes on his first trip abroad without me.
I hope you don't have to wait too long for an appointment and that you soon get to the bottom of everything.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »