Talk

Advanced search

Am I allergic to Alcohol??

(9 Posts)
Lollypop85 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:06:20

For some time now every time I have even a couple of sips of alcohol my throat and sinuses swell slightly and I inevitably end up with a headache. To start with I just put it down to a cold, stress, heat etc. But now I'm seriously thinking I have an intolerance/allergy?
Anyone had the same thing and any advice, I'm not fussed about drinking but it's nice to have a glass now and again.

OP’s posts: |
sycamore54321 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:12:51

In my 30s, I’ve had a similar experience. Alcohol lead to sinus congestion and feeling as though I had a cold. I wasn’t a heavy or regular drinker but it was annoying enough and unpleasant enough that I reduced to drinking max two glasses and maybe only two or three times a year. After a few years of that, I’ve recently started to drink a little more frequently and don’t seem to experience it to anything like the same degree.

I never sought any medical advice or got it confirmed as an allergic-type response but I definitely seemed to have a strong correlation between drinking and the symptoms.

KelpianCasserole Sat 29-Jun-19 21:14:36

Every time I drink alcohol I get a hayfever type reaction. It has been suggested that it may be a reaction to sulphide. But I dont react to alcohol free beers like Becks Blue. Red wine and beer seem to be worst. It's got so bad I'm almost teetotal now

sycamore54321 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:14:48

I hit ‘post’ too soon. Your reference to throat swelling after even a couple of sips sounds quite a bit more serious though. You should consider seeking medical advice for allergies - some mild allergies can then develop into anaphylactic response with renewed exposure and swelling of the airway could get very dangerous, very quickly.

Lollypop85 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:17:35

Thank you, I feel like a kill joy all the time when I go out with friends. I get out of it by being the driver.
I barely drink anymore anyway because I also suffer migraines and the smallest things trigger it. I think I will speak to the GO, I just wondered if I was going mad being the only one.

Newmumma83 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:18:11

I find that if I drink I get a cough ... it can last for a week at a time ... so when I go through a patch of having a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend I cough a lot ... and by a couple I admit it’s one bottle spread across two or three days ... had a couple of weeks off and enjoying not coughing my guts up ...

Lollypop85 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:18:12

GP*

PotatoBreadsticks Sat 29-Jun-19 21:32:28

I get 'Asian flush' even though I'm not Asian! Google it! Possibly the same symptoms?

Lollypop85 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:41:44

@PotatoBreadsticks thank you I will take a look

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in