Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is/was your child allergic and will/have they grown out of it ?

(19 Posts)
alibobins Fri 20-Jul-07 19:02:55

Ds is 2.6 and allergic to fish eggs nuts and recently we found out cats as well

He seems to be developing more allergies.

SweetyDarling Fri 20-Jul-07 19:20:12

My sister was allergic to eggs (anaphylactic spl??), peanuts, wheat, dairy, moulds, dust mites, horses, dogs, cats, pollen etc etc bloody etc.
Used to collapse if she touched an egg shell, and now eats omlettes! Still mildly allergic to the rest though.

foxinsocks Fri 20-Jul-07 19:24:39

dd - milk, soya - allergic from around 10 weeks ish, outgrown at 2
- egg, found out in a test (I think - her whole arm went red in the skin prick one and it was positive in her blood!). We think she outgrew this at 5/6 but we've not had her retested
- seafood, not tested but she (possibly) had a minor reaction. We're just avoiding it for the time being and we'll try it again at some point.

dh - is still allergic to chicken and eggs and he's in his 40s
ds - had a milk allergy (we think) but he outgrew it when he was very young

I'm not sure I am capable of producing babies who aren't milk allergic . Weirdly, I too had allergy problems with milk as a child (outgrown).

Sorry to hear about him developing more. Are you sure there are lots more developing or could it be one major one that's not been discovered that's causing him to be sort of overreactive (not sure that makes sense but we found that happened with dd a bit till we had narrowed down exactly what it was that was causing the problems)?

Amberjee Fri 20-Jul-07 19:36:31

the other night i discovered ds (6.5 months) has a problem with eggs. broke out in rash all around his mouth and cheeks.

i am a little scared to find out what else he is allergic to ...

alibobins Fri 20-Jul-07 19:36:53

Could be that.

He was allergic to milk and was on nutremigen until he was 18 months but is ok now.

MetalMummy Fri 20-Jul-07 20:42:20

DS1 is 4 and in March we found out he is allergic to wheat, milk, eggs and peanuts. He also has skin reactions round his mouth and on his face and neck to strawberries, tomatoes and beetroot. He is not anaphylactic to any of them, but the wheat and milk really set his excema and asthma off quite badly. According to the blood test it's eggs that he is most allergic to but when we did the elimination diet he didn't react to eggs
He does have hayfever too so must be allergic to pollen or grass maybe.

tatt Sat 21-Jul-07 10:19:37

don't know really as we can't get decent testing. One is definitely nuts - peanut and several tree nuts. That child tests positive for a variety of other things (including dust mite now), some of which (like capiscum) they can eat. We think also hay fever and some other food but can't get help to track it down. Ceratinly there last IgE level was so high it suggested regular exposure to some allergen (although that might just be dust ).

I'm afraid they do tend to develop other allergies. in my view at times when their IgE level is high or immune system is stressed (hay fever/ illness?) they may react/ test positive to things that don't really have clinical significance.

My other child has outgrown their allergies, which were pretty mild and only involved fresh, not cooked, food.

Took them both to visit cow sheds when they were little - might be worth a try as the bacteria are said to be helpful. I give them both probiotics (in live yoghurt) regularly.

aDad Sat 21-Jul-07 10:23:27

known and tested allergies:

dd1 (3.8) : dairy, eggs

dd2 (9 months): dairy, eggs, peanuts, sesame

no sign of dd1 growing out them. Still some chance by the age of 5, but am starting to doubt it.

chopchopbusybusy Sat 21-Jul-07 10:28:53

DD2 was allergic to eggs as I discovered when she was about 8 months. Raised lumps, vomiting etc. She had never reacted to well cooked egg eg. cakes etc. so she continued to eat those. She is now 10 and for about 2 years has eaten omelettes. I believe it's quite common to grow out of egg allergy but no idea about others.

mymama Sat 21-Jul-07 10:33:59

ds2 from 4 months - allergic to wheat, dairy, egg, fish and peanuts.

outgrew wheat allergy by around 16 months
outgrew dairy allergy by around 20 months
outgrew fish allergy by around 2 1/2 years

last tested November 2006 and tested all but negative to peanuts and slight allergy to eggs.

He now eats baked goods with eggs in but not eggy things such as omelette.

He gets tested again on 31st July (10 days). If same result for peanut he will have a food challenge soon after. fingers crossed...

alibobins Sat 21-Jul-07 17:09:40

Well ds had a mild to moderate reaction this morning to god knows what
He had a sausage sandwhich which i made sausage is the one he always has.

He had swelling to the lips around the lips and eyes some slight blotches on side of face and was itching his neck which i think ment his throat was itchy

He also had a very runny tummy

it took a double dose of piriton and some steriods to go down.

PotterCandles Sat 21-Jul-07 17:14:52

Apparently I was allergic to strawberries as a toddler, but I grew out of it too early for me to remember being allergic. I became allergic to flat fish as a child, avoided them for years and tried again in my early 20s without any problems. Oddly, it was only flatfish eg plaice and sole etc, but not any other fish.

DangerousBeans Sat 21-Jul-07 17:17:48

alibobins, sorry to hear that your DS has had another reaction to something.

My DS2 has allergies to wheat,gluten and dairy.
I wonder if the sausages had wheat or dairy in them?

We buy sausages from the Tesco free-from range, and he is fine with those. We also have to buy/make gluten-free bread.

Have you spoken to your GP about having your DS tested for allergies? We found it easier to get into a routine of avoidance for triggers once we knew exactly what we were dealing with.

Heathcliffscathy Sat 21-Jul-07 17:21:38

was allergic to tomatoes (red marks wherever touched skin (i.e. round mouth). no longer.

was allergic to egg (hives ALL over body if had any) no longer.

was allergic to cows milk (eczema) and is currently growing out of that HOORAY.

Heathcliffscathy Sat 21-Jul-07 17:23:29

he is 3.9 btw.

alibobins Sun 22-Jul-07 11:40:01

He had tests to confirm the allergies he's got as he does suffer from anaphylaxis

Julia76 Tue 24-Jul-07 10:47:35

Peanuts(severe) house dustmites, 3 grasses, cats, dogs, lavender,cold, hot, pressure, some othre plants(not sure of name, too long!) Had these for many years & still has them. Got told wpeanut allergy would probably stay with him all his life. He used to be allergic to sand but seems to be fine with sand now, so looks like he has out grown the sand allergy. Hope I havent spoke too soon now. His younger brother sems to have developed an allergy to sand now though, so I just hope he is not following in his brothers footsteps, as one of my ds(8) first allergy was sand & then he become allergic to all the other things.

Julia76 Tue 24-Jul-07 17:58:56

I am allergic to penicillian & so is my youngest ds.I have never had food allergies only but suffer from ibs so some foods start this off but not the same thing as allergies. I have skin allergies occasionally, only mild though, like soaps, shower gels & washing up liquid makes my hands so sore & dry when I use it. Im a bit confused with this myself. I do not eat sweets very often but ate some wine gums last night. Well lots of them. Not long after my roof of my mouth, tongue and gums were really itchy. My top lip on 1 side was sore but I checked for blisters(as my ds has gone into anaphylactic shock b4)but no blisters, just a red tongue & like I said very itchy. No swelling occured. I did not take anything & it wore off a little. Later, i ate some more & the same thing happened so I put them away. I did not take any anti histamine & wenbt to bed. I was fine this am. I have no idea what ingrediant could have started this off & I have eaten this before. Any ideas on what the ingredient might have been?I wonder whether I should eat some more to seee if it is the sweets or was just a conicidence. I know I shouldnt incase a worse reaction occurs but a bit baffled & curious.

christywhisty Tue 24-Jul-07 21:40:07

DS 11 is allergic to
Peanuts
treenuts
seseme seeds
sunflower seeds
plasters
hayfever
mosquito bites come up quite nasty sometimes

Having him retested in August, although he was originally only tested for peanuts, nuts and seseme seeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now