Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hello allergy folk! first timer here

(40 Posts)
Rhubob Wed 04-Jul-07 16:09:52

ok its me cod
i haev this odd hting going on wiht my eyes

think tis makeup
doctor thinks its probt he preservative in make up
they go all dry then crack and HURT

am off to dermatologist on a few weeks
has anyoen got this

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:11:02

Message withdrawn

LilRedWG Wed 04-Jul-07 16:11:54

My sister had something similar. She could only use Almay make-up, nothing else.

Piksiminx Wed 04-Jul-07 16:13:22

Yes, I have this, they flake, dry, crack, go red, get itchy and very sore. I don't wear makeup for this reason,gets worse if I do. I treat it with hydrocortisone2% when bad.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:16:41

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:17:00

Message withdrawn

collision Wed 04-Jul-07 16:18:22

You will have to become like the Plymouth Brethren and not wear makeup at all!

Buy some new sunglasses and wear them in the rain!

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:18:56

Message withdrawn

RubySlippers Wed 04-Jul-07 16:20:53

a lot of make up allergies are associated with mascara IIRC
have you change your brand recently?

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:21:25

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:23:27

Message withdrawn

bundlecod Wed 04-Jul-07 16:24:01

contact dermatitis?
hve you tried mineral make up?

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:25:23

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:29:03

Message withdrawn

bundle Wed 04-Jul-07 16:30:38

minerals sposed to be good cos don't have all the preservatives and talc in them

yajorome Wed 04-Jul-07 16:31:43

I have this. It's idiopathic in my case. First batch of skin tests came back all positive (including the neg control) and second batch came back all neg except for the postive control. Skin tests were for something else, but that doesn't matter, obv. Thrilling, eh?

I used to have a prescription steroid cream for it but now just use otc hydrocortisone cream.

And I wear makeup. Will be wearing that Rimmel Mousse eyeshadow tonight and hoping I don't look like too much of an idiot. It's pretty subtle, though.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 17:14:51

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 17:17:06

Message withdrawn

bundle Wed 04-Jul-07 17:21:26

idiopathic = dunno what causes it

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 17:22:33

Message withdrawn

yajorome Wed 04-Jul-07 18:01:31

Yes it goes if I use the hydrocortisone and idiopathic is a fancy word for they don't fucking know. I think it's a combination of stress and, erm, other things for me. Not sure what the other things are, so that's really helpful.

Am wearing the eyeshadow now and it's on ok, although burned a bit going on. Not flaky atm though, so looks ok. I don't wear eyeshadow unless I'm going out, so it'll have a chance to calm down in the next few days.

Am just waiting to leave actually - I hate being ready really early and hungry and just want to go.

Just read your post again - yes it's fine on your arm or back maybe. What did you think they would do - prick your eyelids? That'd be a unique look.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 18:32:40

Message withdrawn

yajorome Wed 04-Jul-07 21:57:12

What do you mean? I've been posting here for a couple of years but mainly lurking.

Am just about to wash off the makeup in prep for bed and will put on the hydrocortisone because they seem to be getting a bit bad. The sooner I tend to it, the less I need to use if that makes sense.

Don't put makeup on your eyes if they're cracked and make sure they don't get infected. Maybe ask the doctor for a steroid cream with an antibiotic (like Fucibet which I've used on my eyes a time or two - nicked a dab from my son's tube).

I know it's a pain and looks awful (at least it does on me). Hope it's sunny weather soon because then you can wear sunglasses. Do hope it clears up soon for you!

yajorome Thu 05-Jul-07 09:06:27

Oh this is why I don't post that often... woke up this morning thinking "Fucibet is an antifungal".

Anyway, you might need to change your old cosmetics if they're irritating you. It might be that they're infected (for lack of a better word) and given the chance, will make anything worse. Ren moisturiser (the rose one for sensitive skin) is fine with on my eyes when they're a bit bad. If even the air hurts, I put petroleum jelly on as a barrier.

I spend far too much time trying to make my eyes normal... this is just my experience, so take it all with a grain of salt.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 05-Jul-07 09:46:16

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now