Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there gluten in long grain rice?

(10 Posts)
wangle99 Fri 29-Jun-07 22:12:36

DS has been successfully wheat free for nearly 3 weeks now and its working fab although some days he still has a bit of diarrhoea. Am trying to work out if it is something extra causing it, last few days he's eaten a fair bit of rice am wondering if there is gluten in this as gluten is something else we are questioning.

I have googled it but can't find out the answer!

Piksiminx Fri 29-Jun-07 22:15:36

I'm fairly certain that there isn't. What have you been serving with the rice?

wangle99 Fri 29-Jun-07 22:17:42

hmm can't be that then.

Today at school he had fish kedgeree so not entirely sure what was in it although I know it didn't have wheat.

When he had rice at home he refused to eat what was with it so he only had the rice! (he's a fussy little thing at the best of times!).

pamplemousse Fri 29-Jun-07 22:24:36

No gluten in rice
hth

Piksiminx Fri 29-Jun-07 22:31:13

Perhaps there was some cross contamination at school?

wangle99 Fri 29-Jun-07 22:33:03

Thank you pamplemousse

There could be cross contamination, I don't have a clue how they prepare the food or whether they are aware of cross contamination.

I am guessing the pudding had wheat in it because DS had a yogurt. I must ask DD in the morning what she had (same school).

I'm frustrated really because the first couple of weeks were fab and no diarrhoea and now its creeping back in and I can't see why! We have another week of wheat free then back on wheat to see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Peachy Fri 29-Jun-07 22:34:56

some yoghurts have thickeners with gluten in (DS1 is gluten free). And a lot of things served with rice have thickeners in- sauces etc- which tend towards gluten

bookthief Fri 29-Jun-07 22:38:56

If he's very sensitive then it can be extremely tricky to be completely wheat free when eating food others prepare as people don't always think about small quantities of flour used for example as a thickener in a sauce or a coating on a piece of fried fish or chicken.

Not had any experience of this myself, but a friend has coeliac disease and is often ill after eating out - even when she has stressed the importance of knowing what she's eating has no flour or contact with flour.

Peachy Fri 29-Jun-07 22:42:07

Agree, DS1 really only ahd a school dinner when I'm despearte (ie we ran out of gf bread), he's fairly well schooled in what he can eat but school don't have exact ingredients so stuff gets through.

tatt Sat 30-Jun-07 10:20:13

Not in rice - possibly some curry powder in the kedgeree? Gluten does turn up in all sorts of wierd places and curry powder is often one of them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now