Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd with tomato allergy (possibly) anyone else?

(18 Posts)
squeakybub Wed 27-Jun-07 19:22:41

Message withdrawn

KerryMum Wed 27-Jun-07 19:24:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sar123 Wed 27-Jun-07 19:26:08

squeakybub not an expert by any means but i do know that anything in the "deadly nightshade" family can cause an allergy and some nutritionists advise delayed weaning until 9 or 10 months for that reason eg potato, tomato, aubergine - so it is not unheard of for tomato to cause this and yes you are doing the right thing. At least if you withhold for 3 weeks and then try it again and she gets a red patch again you will know for sure! Good luck.

squeakybub Wed 27-Jun-07 19:26:34

Message withdrawn

squeakybub Wed 27-Jun-07 19:28:24

Message withdrawn

Desiderata Wed 27-Jun-07 19:29:54

I don't immediately jump on the allergy bandwagon, but I always detested them as a child, and so does my ds. I don't think they're good, kiddy food (but great adult food).

I wouldn't call it an allergy at this stage, but I would take them out of her diet for now. I didn't eat tomatoes until I was in my twenties, and I have to say that I'm still not a huge fan (especially in a sandwich).

I wouldn't bother with skin tests and all that palava. There are loads of other things she can eat.

KerryMum Wed 27-Jun-07 19:32:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Wed 27-Jun-07 19:34:21

Stop trying to find the reason, that would only make you feel worse and it's not going to change a thing... besides... I followed every single guideline and my son is one of the most allergic children over the planet, I finally got to the conclusion that he was born like that, if had weaned him in sardines with peanut butter during the first month it wouldn't have been any diferent

Anyways, no need to panic about it, just avoid it for the time being. Many children are allergic to tomatoes but most grow out of it. DS had a bad time with them as a baby but now can have them as long as they are well cooked.

christywhisty Wed 27-Jun-07 19:47:43

I read somewhere , but can't remember where, that lots of little children get sores around their mouth eating tomatoes, but it is not a true allergy.

Nightynight Wed 27-Jun-07 20:04:06

I developed a tomato allergy in my late teens, and it lasted for around 10 years. The symptom was swollen red skin around my mouth when I ate tomatoes. It went away, but showed up as a half reaction on a skin test in 2005.

if you suspect the allergy, why not get the skin tests done, then you will have a concrete test result.

Desiderata Wed 27-Jun-07 20:37:44

Because it's a waste of tax payers money!

Just avoid tomatoes for a while, then re-introduce at some point.

shakenvac Wed 27-Jun-07 20:49:33

My dd has the same thing. She loves tomatoes but her face swells slightly and goes red when she has them. We had a skin prick test at the local hospital and, as christywhisty mentioned, the doctor told us it is not a true allergy just a sensitivity to the acidity of tomatoes. The doctor would not test for an allergy for this reason . Turns out my dd is allergic to hazelnuts though.

shakenvac Wed 27-Jun-07 21:16:39

We've been advised to avoid all nuts until she is five. A lot of foods can be re-introduced once a child is five. I suppose it can be a bit of a waste of tax-payers money, doing skin prick tests on small children. There is a school of thought that by doing a skin prick test you are introducing new allergens to a child that they might not have come in contact with otherwise. I think this is why the doctor only tested my dd for foods we already thought caused a reaction. But, as a parent, you want the peace of mind of knowing something, rather than suspecting it, before you exclude a nutritious food.

shakenvac Wed 27-Jun-07 21:23:27

BTW, dd was breastfed exclusively until she was 6 months. I was trying to follow the WHO advice because we have a family history of allergies. It perhaps helped but she's still got eczema, dry skin, the nut allergy and the tomato thing....

chloesmumtoo Thu 28-Jun-07 10:17:58

Yes my dd has a tomato allergy too. Nothing to serious but have been told for her to only eat them in moderation. I have to admit though I avoid them completely now as she suffers so much with eczema-got to help. She has many many other allergies and I have to say having the skin prick tests have been a god send to help her improve her quality of life!! Her teachers used to notice her mouth go red and told me about it. Just to put your mind at rest I too fed her to the book and still she has all her allergies so dont blame yourself. She also craves everything she is allergic too. So so strange!

pageturner Thu 28-Jun-07 10:25:38

Ds2 is intolerant to nightshade family. Tomato is a particularly bad reaction, but potato too. Not an excema reaction though (though he does have some excema), he gets diahorrea. Weirdly, it seemed to be triggered by a severe bout of D&V when he was just turned 3, but it took ages to identify. We cut out nightshade at Christmas. He inadvtertently had potato a few weeks ago and still had a reaction, though improved. He's 4.4 now. I do hope he gets over it soon, family meal planning is a nightmare!

So yes, keep withholding!

Nightynight Thu 28-Jun-07 19:46:53

why is it a good idea to get tested? because you may be allergic to other foods, and the symptoms may be things that you hadnt associated with food allergies. Trial and error is difficult if more than one food is causing symptoms.

squeakybub Fri 29-Jun-07 14:08:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now