Talk

Advanced search

Severe allergy and travel - help needed!

(2 Posts)
Katie2101 Thu 15-Nov-18 09:23:38

Hi All,

I am travelling to Sri Lanka in 2 weeks time and am severely allergic to wasps. I have told my travel insurance company and will take epi-pens and antihisthamines with me. I am also taking a translation document to help explain that I will need urgent medical help if I end up in a situation like this.

What I would like to find out is what else can I do? When I have had a severe reaction I have needed immediate medical help here in the UK. A fear of mine is that I will be in an isolated location and may not be able to get the medical attention I need. I am aware airways can block up which I have been close to previously. In a worst case scenario is there a way to help treat/prevent this? I did think maybe self adminstering a tube down my nose/throat (crazy I know) as a last case resort might help but my doctor didn't give any advice on this and said this wasn't a good idea.

I think what I am asking is if it is a life threatening situation and I am unable to access help in that very worse case scenario - what things can I do to help myself recover from anaphalaxis and ultimately survive it?!

Any help would be really appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
seanceinterrupted Sat 17-Nov-18 16:37:00

Epipens and bronchodilators. Speak to your doctor. We have travelled a lot with our child who has severe allergies. We avoided places away from medical help because of the risk.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in