Talk

Advanced search

Dairy free/Lacto free

(14 Posts)
WooYa Wed 15-Aug-18 11:08:45

Can anyone explain the difference between the two?
DS had reactions to normal formula so is on SMA Lactofree. He's 5months so coming up to weaning age and I'm struggling to find any flavoured cereals for him. I've tried to mix his formula with oats and it tastes disgusting and I'm apprehensive to feed him baby rice because it's just rice...

OP’s posts: |
WooYa Wed 15-Aug-18 12:21:52

Bump bump grin

sentenceinterrupted Wed 15-Aug-18 12:30:58

Lactose is basically the 'sugar' in milk. Some people have trouble digesting this. When people have allergies to dairy, they are allergic to the protein part of the milk ... so would still be allergic to lactose free milk as the only bit that's been taken out is sugar.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Aug-18 18:22:25

Is he ok on the Lactofree stuff? Just asking because from what I understand, it’s extremely unusual for babies to be allergic to the lactose rather than the protein.

As for the Weaning, I’d just leave it till he’s 6 months. Once he’s that age you can use porridge oats with his usual milk and add things like chopped banana for flavour and they’re be so much more you can try him on too smile

Srilli Thu 16-Aug-18 18:24:41

Oatly barista is a good dairy free alternative to use in cooking and cereal from 6 months. It’s fortified with calcium and has good calorific content but by no means replaces formula.

WooYa Thu 16-Aug-18 18:56:49

Yeah, every symptom disappeared within a day or two. I've read that it is unusual which is why I'm confused. I'm reluctant to try dairy free formula because he is doing so well on this one. He gained 2lb in four weeks as soon as I swapped.
Thanks for the tip Srilli

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Aug-18 19:20:13

Have you seen a Paediatric Dietician @WooYa? Normally the GP will refer you if it’s a suspected milk allergy smile

WooYa Thu 16-Aug-18 19:53:00

No my HV told me to swap. I asked if I needed to go to GP she said no... He was having symptoms (rash/uncontrollable crying/horrendous nappies) when we had his 8 week check and Dr just said it's colic so try gripe water/infacol. Infacol slightly helped the crying but not the other stuff but then stopped working. confused
Should I ring the GP you think @JiltedJohnsJulie ?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Aug-18 20:10:49

Yeah, I’d book in with the GP. According to the NICE guidelines on suspected food allergies if it’s an IGE reaction he should be referred for either a blood test or skin prick tests and if it’s non-ige you should be referred to a Paediatric Dietician smile

WooYa Thu 16-Aug-18 20:18:43

Thank you smile I'll ring in the morning.

WooYa Thu 16-Aug-18 20:26:25

@JiltedJohnsJulie I've had a quick read through that and the table of symptoms? DS had 13 of them confused they are stopped within 2 days but I'm definitely going to call GPs tomorrow. Thank you for the link halocakethanks

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Aug-18 20:33:00

No problem smile

WooYa Fri 17-Aug-18 11:14:39

Just a quick update (I hate it when people don't updategrin) Taken DS to GP, said he didn't need blood test/skin test as he can tell from symptoms etc that it is a lactose intolerance. If it was CMPA then he would react to the LF formula. Told me to keep doing what I'm doing and try a bit of dairy (yoghurt/milk in something) after first tastes are established. If he reacts to them then go back.
Thanks for the push Jilted smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 17-Aug-18 11:28:21

And thanks for the update smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in