Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pet allergy

(3 Posts)
Wolfiefan Mon 12-Feb-18 19:05:00

I often see posts on here saying that people have developed allergies to their pets and have to rehome.
A couple of years ago we got two cats (had cats for years) within a few months my eczema kicked off. We then got a dog. Massive flare up. Face looked burnt. Pain and itching. Couldn't sleep. Felt awful.
Saw GP. Blood test. Allergic to cats and dogs and dust and pollen.
BUT saw a dermatologist for patch testing. I am rampantly allergic to MI. It is a preservative often found in shampoo and shower gel. Changed my shampoo and instant difference.
If you suffer allergy symptoms I implore you to not just assume it's your pets.
And if you itch? Check out MI. It is in loads of things and many many people are allergic to it.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 12-Feb-18 20:38:28

I’ve never heard of it so thanks for that. Can I ask which shampoo and shower gel you use now?

Wolfiefan Mon 12-Feb-18 20:55:38

Shower gel I'm switching between a few and have a soap substitute. Shampoo is one from the supermarket.
I hadn't heard of it either. They are trying to get it banned. Current plan is to ban it in leave on products but not rinse off ones. Dermatologists say that's not good enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now