Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergies linked to ecogenic bowel and hiccups

(7 Posts)
cjp383 Mon 29-Jan-18 20:06:54

This is my first time posting but I’m a long time reader (and have found much wisdom on this site...thank you!)
I wondered whether anyone else had experienced a baby who’s second trimester scan showed ecogenic bowel, and who later went on to be diagnosed with allergies?
My second son had ecogenic bowel and at nearly 5 months has now been diagnosed with delayed onset allergies to milk and soya (possibly others, we are still trialing by elimination - he is exclusively breastfed).
He also had excessive hiccups in the womb (and still gets them a lot now) and I heard somewhere that this might also be an indicator of potential allergies.
It’s a really confusing issue but I feel my fellow mumsnetters will have good insight and we might be able to help other mums get answers too.
Thanks in advance!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 12-Feb-18 17:36:20

@cjp383 I’ve not heard of an ecogenic bowel (just had to google). What did they say after the scan?

cjp383 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:00:22

Hi ETAPM ;-),
They said it could mean a bowel infection but they did blood tests on me and found nothing. I haven’t found anything online (or through asking docs) to back it up, but I strongly believe that was the first sign of allergies. I’m hoping weaning in a month or so will help us pin down the culprit(s).

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 13-Feb-18 11:11:27

It will hopefully. Have they given you any advice regarding Weaning? Is LO under a Paediatric Dietician?

BlackeyedSusan Tue 13-Feb-18 18:02:47

dd was very hiccupy in the womb. she has allergies to peanuts, pistachio, egg and possibly milk.

cjp383 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:01:53

Yes, we have a follow up appointment with the dietician thankfully.
Susan, did you have to wait until weaning to work out what your dd was allergic to?
I’m sure excessive hiccuping are a symptom or at least very common in allergic bubs.

BlackeyedSusan Wed 14-Feb-18 23:57:50

spotted the egg allergy early. this month she developed the reaction to mmilk which we think is an allergy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: