Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coeliacs-stomach ache

(8 Posts)
bedtimestories Wed 10-Jan-18 17:19:31

What I can I do to ease stomach pain caused by coeliacs?

Gingernaut Wed 10-Jan-18 17:20:15

Stop eating stuff which triggers it.

tkband3 Wed 10-Jan-18 17:26:52

Have you been diagnosed as coeliac, and are now following a gluten free diet? If you were diagnosed recently, it can take some time for the symptoms to disappear, as your gut heals from the damage the gluten has done.

Are you eating gluten free oats? Some coeliacs can't tolerate oats, and it's best to cut them out completely and then reintroduce them gradually. Also undiagnosed coeliac disease can result in a lactose intolerance, so it might be worth cutting down on your lactose intake for a while.

If the stomach ache doesn't go after a few weeks, you should probably go back to your gastroenterologist.

bedtimestories Wed 10-Jan-18 17:29:17

We were waiting for a diagnosis, only at the very beginning. Just wondering how to cope with the stomach pain in the meantime, don't want to alter my diet until they have finished their tests

tkband3 Sat 13-Jan-18 00:39:57

Sorry, only just come back to the thread. I’m not sure there’s much you can do to alleviate the pain, although you’re right to continue eating gluten until you have a confirmed diagnosis.

Perhaps speak to your GP/ gastroenterologist to see if they can advise on anything you could do in the meantime. I do sympathise - I had to continue feeding DD1 gluten between her positive blood test and the endoscopy to avoid a misleading test result. It was really hard knowing that I was giving her food which was causing her pain.

bedtimestories Sat 13-Jan-18 08:54:45

Thanks, I think I was being too hopeful in thinking there was something magical I could do to take it away smile fell so out my depth with this pending diagnosis

tkband3 Sat 13-Jan-18 15:56:52

It's really not as bad as you think it will be. And you'll start feeling better so soon once you do go gluten free. If you'd like any advice (three coeliac DDs first diagnosed 12 years ago), feel free to PM me.

Best of luck - I hope you get the confirmed diagnosis soon.

bedtimestories Sat 13-Jan-18 19:12:44

Thank you, that's very kind of you. I'm sure I'll be in touch needing advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now