Talk

Advanced search

Penicillin allergy testing?

(6 Posts)
NeverUseThisName Wed 03-Jan-18 22:10:51

Is this ever done?

For decades I have been saying that I am allergic to penicillin, but the truth is - I don't know if I am! 20-30 years ago I came out in hives after taking different antibiotics of the penicillin family, and was told "for safety" just to say that I am allergic to penicillin.

But is this actually a good idea? Is it the right thing to do? Would it not make sense to check? Can it be checked? Or would this be checked only if I had an infection that did not respond to alternative antibiotics?

OP’s posts: |
EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 07-Jan-18 16:24:21

Was it a doctor who told you to say that Never? smile

NeverUseThisName Sun 07-Jan-18 17:56:48

Yes, a GP.

OP’s posts: |
EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 07-Jan-18 18:19:00

Have no idea on getting allergy testing but I was told a similar thing as a child. Got admitted to hospital with Pnemonia. Lovely Doc asked me if I was allergic to anything, said Penicilin and she gave it to me anyway. Daft cow nearly finished me off. If you came out in hives last time, it’s possible that your next reaction would be worse.

gastropod Sun 07-Jan-18 18:30:27

Me too! My dad was allergic to penicillin and I'm allergic to other antibiotics in the same family, so my doc told me not to take the risk. I remember he said it was fairly likely that I would be allergic.

But I"ve never actually found out for sure - the doctor said the only way to know would be to take it. So I tend to say that I'm probably allergic to it but don't know for sure.

OfDragonsDeep Sun 07-Jan-18 18:40:36

Same here, I came out in a rash all over when I took it. The Dr said I was probably allergic to it, but they wouldn't do any further tests. I have to explain this to all medical professionals whenever they ask if I have any allergies.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in