Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Baby getting worse after going dairy free...

(11 Posts)
QueenAmongstMen Wed 29-Nov-17 09:34:38

I've been dairy free for 8 days and my son (15 weeks old) is actually getting worse.

He used to have normal nappies whereas now they are greedy/brown and thick.

He has got awful wind at night that wakes him and he's crying and back arching - he never used to suffer from this either.

His eczema has also worsened.

I just don't understand it and I'm feeling very deflated by it all.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 29-Nov-17 19:09:17

It does take around 2 weeks for the dairy to leave your system, but I think you’re right to expect some improvement by now.

Can I ask why you decided to cut out the dairy? Have you tried cutting out the soy too?

ButtfaceMiscreant Wed 29-Nov-17 19:14:55

Have you cut out soya as well? The protein is very similar to the cows milk protein. I realised I was still eating soya flour even when I was dairy free, which was making my DTs symptoms worse.

QueenAmongstMen Wed 29-Nov-17 19:16:18

Various HCPs have recommended to me over the last month that I should go dairy free as my DS has reflux, persistent gurgling stomach, eczema/dry skin and a slowing weight gain.

I have noticed improvements in that he's more comfortable at the breast, he enjoys feeding now and is relaxed whereas previously he'd just scream when offered the breast and go stiff and push away from me.

I'm really happy to see that improvement as at least I feel my diet changes aren't all for nothing but I just don't understand why since removing all dairy his nappies and his skin have got worse.

I haven't been soya free but this afternoon I made the decision to cut that out too from here on in. It's just such a confusing minefield sad

DorisDay88 Wed 29-Nov-17 19:17:24

Agree with previous poster, soya could definitely be a cause as well - my granddaughter has recently gone through this and it really helped to cut it out
Have you had any medication from the dr as well?
Just a thought, orange juice caused problems when bf as well, have you had any recently?
There's a brilliant support group on fb called living with reflux, it's a charity and they can offer loads of support and advice

Mummyof2boys211 Wed 29-Nov-17 19:17:27

What are you using instead? I've had to cut dairy, soya and eggs as well as bananas and coconut! X

Flowershower Wed 29-Nov-17 19:19:17

Yes to the advice above about soya - it's in so many things and many children cross react. Fwiw though my LO nappies went from yellow and thin (and sort of sweet smelling) to much stinkier greeny brown colour once I'd stopped dairy and soy. Try raising the head of the cot too?

Mummyof2boys211 Wed 29-Nov-17 19:21:17

Sorry just seen your reply. Make sure you check everything though as dairy and soya hide in so much!
Theres a great facebook page called CMPA support for breastfeeding which is amazing, have learned so much from there and found so many good alternatives. Id totally recommend oat milk and most of the oatly range tbh for alternatives! Good luck. My lb is 12 months and still feeding. Been free from for most of that time! X

QueenAmongstMen Wed 29-Nov-17 20:07:18

I initially had Almond Milk in place of normal milk but DS had a reaction to it of sorts so I then changed to Koko Coconut milk but DS's symptoms have been bad on that too so as of tomorrow I'm using Oatly milk.

I'm part of that CMPA breastfeeding group and they've been a fantastic support and source of advice.

It all just feels so overwhelming. People keep telling me to "just put him on formula" (Nutramigen I imagine) and it's knocking my confidence a little. I feel like nobody believes I can do this and that me continuing to BF isn't the best thing for DS anymore.

Flowershower Thu 30-Nov-17 10:36:00

The problem is that the formula for CMPA is absolutely vile. My LO wouldn't touch it so it isn't necessarily easier. He's only little too - it gets easier with time. Keep hanging on in there OP. oatly is nice, esp for porridge but tbh I've found it easier just to cut milk type stuff out altogether. oatly cream is nice for making things like bread sauce at Christmas though.

SheRasBra Thu 30-Nov-17 15:53:11

Our DCs both had CMPA and the advice to drop soya is very sound; the two are often linked. You might also try some Bifidum Infantis which is the baby equivalent of acidophilus and helps to repopulate the gut with the correct flora.

I always used to keep some in case the DCs had antibiotics. Just mix about a quarter of a teaspoon of the powder with a little breastmilk and spoon it into him.

Mine hated the Nutramigen - smells like old socks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: