Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you’re a coeliac, do you eat foods labelled ‘May contain’?

(9 Posts)
curlylocks101 Tue 21-Nov-17 14:21:40

I’ve been diagnosed for five years now and have a strict GF diet. I’ve been feeling fine, blood tests etc all fine, despite eating the odd ‘May contain’ item. Recently though I’ve been getting painful bloating and although this isn’t my ‘usual’ glutening symptom I’m wondering if I’m becoming more sensitive (I definitely became more sensitive after cutting it out - I was ‘silent’ and now if I make a mistake I can tell!) Has anyone else experienced increasing sensitivity after several years, or have any opinions on ‘May contain’ labels? Thanks!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 22-Nov-17 08:39:41

Don’t know if this helps as I’m cmpa not coeliac but I have definitely become more sensitive since giving up dairy.

dantdmistedious Wed 22-Nov-17 08:40:54

My coeliac fried can’t take the risk with ‘May contain’ - you have no idea what was on the line before.

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Wed 22-Nov-17 08:41:29

My mum is coeliac and she can't eat anything with a 'may contain' warning. Makes her feel as you describe.

curlylocks101 Sat 25-Nov-17 07:31:40

Thank you everyone - looks as though that is the next thing to try.

DoItAgainBob Mon 27-Nov-17 19:12:38

No I have reacted to may contains too many times

gettingbacktoresearch Fri 01-Dec-17 21:17:47

I have coeliac and found after about 8 months I was getting bloating and wind and stomach pains... turns out I had then become lactose intolerant and so had to look at the diets again....

Natsku Sat 23-Dec-17 07:35:08

Occasionally. Advice from the coeliac society in my country says that you can eat those foods rarely (like once a month) if they are foods that are generally unlikely to have gluten in (so a chocolate bar that says 'may contain' is ok but cereal that says 'may contain' isn't) but some people are more sensitive and will react to much smaller amounts, even under 20ppm (the line by which products can be certified gluten-free - for those people they need to stick to products labelled 'naturally gluten free' as they contain zero ppm)

AnotherDunroamin Wed 27-Dec-17 07:15:30

I'm coeliac and was advised by my dietician to avoid "may contains". She only advised this, though, after my blood tests were still coming back positive for coeliac antibodies after I had gone GF (but was still eating "may contains"). She said many people are fine with them but if you're very sensitive you might not be. I'm also "silent" (and remain so 2 years in) so the blood tests are the only way I know how I'm doing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: