Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sesame allergy

(5 Posts)
Justonemoretilnexttime Sat 11-Nov-17 04:10:25

Hi,
My DS, who is 6 months old, has just been diagnosed with an allergy to both dairy and sesame after reacting to milk and then hummus. We saw the Peadiatrition yesterday who confirmed with skin prick tests. I am feeling very overwhelmed and scared at the moment and hoping someone could help me out with some questions I have.
• Do you have a child with a sesame allergy and do you avoid all “may contain” foods?
• Do you avoid all foods at places like Bakers Delight even when sesame is not an ingredient?
• Did anyone’s child outgrow their sesame allergy (I know this is uncommon)?
• Was anyone still breastfeeding when diagnosed with allergies and did you avoid sesame from your diet?
• Does anyone have real hope of a treatment for these sort of lifelong allergies or is my son (and is) facing a life of anxiety and epipens?!!

Thank you

Feeling very scared and sad for my son right now.

Thistledew Sat 11-Nov-17 05:17:12

I am allergic to sesame (but fortunately not anaphylactic).

I just avoid anything with sesame as an ingredient. It can be a bit of a pain eating out - watch out for seeds on burger buns, sprinkled on sushi and tahini in falafels, also in energy bar type things. Apart from that it is not too hard to avoid.

Interestingly, I am fine with sesame oil, which is great because I would otherwise have to avoid Chinese and other oriental food.

TigerBreadAddict Sat 11-Nov-17 05:19:31

My DS between 6-12 months was found to be allergic to dairy, soya, sesame, kiwi, banana (anaphylactic), strawberry, blueberry (I think that's everything). Oh celery.
He outgrew all except sesame, celery and banana but both are mild allergies now and he doesn't react to them in small amounts.
We don't need to avoid bakeries etc
I didn't have to eliminate food from my diet when BF.
My experience, hope it helps smile

babybarrister Sat 11-Nov-17 13:15:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lennonj Sun 12-Nov-17 20:21:18

My son is also allergic but not anaphylactic too. We don't avoid may contains but he's also allergic to nuts too and mostly can eat may contains but have still had the odd reaction. He first reacted at about 4 years old and is a teenager now.
Mainly difficult at burger restaurants!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: