Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reaction to new clothing

(8 Posts)
ilovecherries Sat 04-Nov-17 14:33:03

I feel a bit embarrassed moaning about this because I realise it's very trivial compared to issues others face with allergies, but I could do with some advice. A week ago I bought a new long sleeved Breton top. I've bought from this company before, loads of times, have several of these tops, never had a problem. I'm not a particularly sensitive skinned person, can slap on any type of skincare/make up/sun cream without problem, can use whatever washing powder is on offer etc.

Anyway, went out for the evening with it on, and within about an hour, felt like I was on fire. Went to toilet to see what was going on, and I all the skin that was in contact with the top was bright fiery red with patchy areas of clusters of pinhead blisters. The only bits that was ok were my armpits, underneath my watch strap and underneath my bra. Headed home but eventually had to go into a public toilet at the station to take it off end just wear my bra under my coat because I was nearly crying with pain.

Took piriton, paracetamol and dabbed E45HC on the worst bits. Saw my GP two days later and he said 'wow, that's an impressive case of contact dermatitis'. GP suggested washing powder etc but it was brand new. You can see every detail of my bra on my naked torso, because it's the only white area. We're now 6 days on, and while I'm feeling a bit better in myself I'm still an itchy, hive-y, blistered mess and I clock-watch for my next piriton hit, day and night.

I've now run the top through the machine twice at 40C, and line dried it. After I'd folded it up today, I sat down to chat and it was sitting on my bare legs. Within a few minutes my thighs were itching and blotchy. Not as severe as before, but pretty bad for 5 mins contact.

Obviously won't ever wear it again, will keep it away from other clothes, wouldn't even give it to a charity shop - but what on earth could have been causing such an extreme reaction. I'm more worried that it's persisted after 2 wash cycles. It's worrying me that I don't know what to avoid in the future.

Any experience or advice?

ilovecherries Sat 04-Nov-17 14:49:26

If it's relevant, the top is 100% cotton, in a thick jersey knit. It's a pale creamy colour (i.e. Not a lot of dye).

OhMyGoddd Sat 04-Nov-17 14:55:20

Yikes. I would be tempted to put it through an even hotter wash if you want to keep it, see if you can get some factory chemicals off. Or soak it in hair conditioner?

AJPTaylor Sat 04-Nov-17 15:08:09

what you need to do is take it straight back to the retailer with pic of what it has done you. it is faulty.

ilovecherries Sat 04-Nov-17 16:19:43

This is what it's like 6 days on

dementedpixie Sat 04-Nov-17 16:23:29

I would also return it.

ForgivenessIsDivine Mon 06-Nov-17 21:26:28

That is shocking and six days on... yikes.

High doses of vitamin C can help the histamine production and hopefully reduce the intensity of the reaction.

Obviously, you won't be wearing it again but on non clothing items that my DS reacts to, I soak in bicarb and vinegar which seems to neutralise chemicals that he reacts to.

ilovecherries Tue 07-Nov-17 08:37:02

I'm a bit pissed off that the shop hasn't even responded yet - sent photos on Friday morning. It was still so bad yesterday and my skin especially on my chest and arms was so puffy and painful that I've ended up on short course of oral steroids. Wish I knew what had caused it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now