Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stomach issues

(6 Posts)
Ektoplasmicsis Mon 30-Oct-17 08:16:34

Hi

I worked out about a year ago that I have mild ibs, partly made worse by iron tablets but I didn’t recover when I came off them till I cut out milk (dairy as a whole was fine, just the lactose in plain milk) and took lots of probiotics. I cut out gluten too but later worked out that wasn’t an issue. Things settled after about 6 weeks and my iron also shot up! I also avoided key triggers; onions, garlic, museli (sad) and too much fibre were the main ones.

Things settled down but I still couldn’t tolerate onions etc. I could cope with some milk but got into oatley.

The one thing that’s puzzling me is that bolognaise shoots right through me and I don’t understand what it is. I’m currently pregnant and back on the milk (have been fine) but I’ve had another bad do after spaghetti bolognaise and I feel so unwell the day after, plus the pregnancy sickness on top.

I put leeks, mince, tomatoes, Worcester sauce, olive oil and grated carrots in. Leeks, tomatoes, and olive oil is fine in other things I make. I think I’m ok with cooked carrots but don’t actually put them in other things.

Is it the meat? Can anyone else relate?

cherrycola2004 Tue 31-Oct-17 15:36:37

Fat can trigger IBS was it fatty meat?

Ekphrasis Tue 31-Oct-17 16:28:10

Ok could be. I thought it was low fat mince but might not be. I guess a lot of mince could do it? Happened with fish and chips sometimes which is obvs very fatty!

cherrycola2004 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:34:21

Cottage pie triggers me even with lean mince meat it perhaps is just the amount. Im not sure but I know fat def does it. Fat triggers the gastric colic reflex which makes you go to the loo.

Is poss leave off mince for now. Are you ok with chicken and turkey?

Ekphrasis Tue 31-Oct-17 16:59:44

I haven’t tried the mince but it’s a good idea. Or some soya mince. I find some roast dinners can do so but I’ve been better recently- I think pregnancy and maybe a slight tummy bug has set it off again.

Ekphrasis Tue 31-Oct-17 17:00:46

Thanks - sounds not much but till I got on top of it I was really struggling to keep weight on and felt very unwell. Sleep was tough as my gut woke me early every morning. Near cfs symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now