Advanced search

Hair dye allergy

(10 Posts)
smellybeanpole Tue 17-Oct-17 02:36:04

So around two weeks now I’ve been having excruciating scalp burns itching pain in my sinuses unbelievable headaches all over. I thought it was sinusitis. But it’s been two weeks and I remembered that I dyed my hair just before this all started. I’ve been taking antihistamines for about a week but I’m still not getting relief. Would an allergy last this long ? I have hives too.

musicform Tue 17-Oct-17 02:40:32

Have you used this hair dye before? Did you do the allergy test?

smellybeanpole Tue 17-Oct-17 02:45:31

I’ve used hair dye many times before. But I only did the test a few hours before. Never had anything like this before. My whole skull is throbbing and numb.

Bimbop5 Tue 17-Oct-17 02:57:38

Yes I had a reaction to hair dye (auburn colored) and for 2 weeks my scalp itched and burned and my hair ended up thinner as I lost some. But no one could tell it was thinner except myself. My Mom also used to dye and bleach her hair blonde but had to stop as the itching and burning lasted 6 weeks and her hair noticably thinned. She streaks it now instead so it doesn't touch her scalp. I no longer dye my hair as the dermatologist told me it would most likely be worse if I did it again.

Try using shampoo and conditioner that doesn't have added fragrance in it or SLS. It might help cal it down. Sorry you are going through this. It will get better in time.

AuntyElle Tue 17-Oct-17 03:18:13

You can become allergic after using hair dye for years. I would definitely see your GP. And don't touch dye again as it could become anaphylactic.

smellybeanpole Tue 17-Oct-17 07:54:57

Thank you for our relplied. Its very scary. I’m going to get a doctors appointment today. It’s worrying as it’s lasted so long with so much pain.

AuntyElle Tue 17-Oct-17 15:41:16

I hope you've managed to see your GP today, OP.

smellybeanpole Tue 17-Oct-17 15:47:53

So I phoned the gp was is morning for an emergency appointment. Didn’t have any literally 5 minutes after they had opened angry. Anyway sent me to the local walk in gp. I walked in explaining everything thats been going on with me. He just looked at me throughout the 6 min appointment. Then typed stuff on his computer then turned to me and said what do you think it is. confused.
I said maybe allergic reaction? He said he will give me a cortisone to rub on my scalp for a week. He didn’t really know what it could be. Absolutely ridiculous.
I will try it for a few days and if I see no results I’m going back to gp. I’ve had enoughsad

babybarrister Sun 29-Oct-17 17:55:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CharlotteME Thu 02-Nov-17 11:50:22

Hi Smellybeanpole, I'm so sorry you are going through this. If you are still having problems with the irritation either go back to your GP or try 111. If you need any additional information for the GP then print this off . I hope you start to have some relief soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: