Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Going milk free near end of pregnancg

(10 Posts)
Zara539 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:56:37

Hi everyone jus wondering if anyone has any advice that's been in a similar situation. I have 2 boys that had severe milk allergy and was so bad was advised to go on hypoallergenic formula even though they were ebf and dieting. I've been told the only way I have a good chance of bf for a longer period of time is to do the elmination diet towards the end of my pregnancy and continue for as long as I'm nursing and also take digestive enzymes and probiotics. I really hope to ebf for a year or so and breaks my heart that I haven't had that chance yet. Thanks in advance

pepperminttaste Sun 15-Oct-17 19:01:25

I did this! My first had severe cmpi which went undiagnosed for a long time before I eventually worked it out. Second time round I cut out all dairy about 6 weeks before my due date (Boxing Day iirc!) just in case and I'm glad I did as DD2 had the same issue.

There's lots of hidden dairy so check labels and trust no one - my own mother regularly tried to poison me.

Is there anything specific you would like to know?

Zara539 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:10:46

Did everything go ok for ur lo and could continue to bf?...i just feel like I'm never going to get the chance to sad I'm hoping that if i do the diet before baby arrives no symptoms will appear and I'll have a happy baby

pepperminttaste Sun 15-Oct-17 19:35:06

Yes. I was able to bf until she stopped aged 2. Really hope it works out for you too!

Zara539 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:40:40

Aww thanks for the advice. I know that there is light at the end of the tunnel now lol

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 15-Oct-17 19:41:38

I fed mine for 17 and 18 months respectively. I had to cut out milk and soya. I seem to remember doing a challenge at about 2 weeks (I had a cream tea and hot chocolate) which clearly showed a strong reaction, although it was a while ago now. They are all ok with milk now, although one is still not keen on yoghurt, ice cream etc. I did have to be really strict checking all packets for even traces of milk and soya.

Zara539 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:31:59

That's brilliant so glad to hear that it worked out for some mum's...i feel that health professionals and family members push the special formula and u think it the right thing to do and me being in my baby brain mind I go along with it and then regret it...im gonna do the diet before delivery and hopefully baby won't show any symptoms. I felt so guilty the first 2 times sad my husband knows for our 3rd baby to really support me on the breastfeeding and to help with the diet etc

MrsPandaBear Thu 19-Oct-17 19:25:12

There are some good CMPA support groups for breastfeeding mums on Facebook. I've found them very helpful, for example giving you lists of foods that are OK.
There are quite a few breastfeeding mums on there who have been recently told by their consultants for their older allergy children to give up dairy towards the end of pregnancy - so you aren't the only one doing this. Apparently the latest research suggests it is better to avoid it for the first 3 months if the baby is at a high risk of an allergy, which they are if they have siblings with it. (I don't know any more than this, I'm not pregnant so haven't done any research on it but the groups are easy enought to find).

sentenceinterrupted Thu 19-Oct-17 19:53:19

OP, please google the EAT study before you do this ... best to be informed smile

Zara539 Sat 21-Oct-17 06:43:43

Oh very interesting I'll have to look into that. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now