Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

/pompholyx excema

(14 Posts)
Gohackyourself Sat 02-Sep-17 22:44:31

Hi
Does anyone have this?
I've had for nearly 30 years and am sick to the back teeth of it.
The hands and feet are rough and red.
The feet blister and then redness and dryness.
I think I've tried every cream, lotion, potion and wash.
Tried antihistamines too. I just cannot seem to conquer this monster... anyone experience this?

twoheaped Sat 02-Sep-17 22:46:21

I get it on my feet. The doctor prescribed potassium permanganate, works a treat.
I only use it if am getting itchy, not all the time.

BeansOnToastWithCheese Sat 02-Sep-17 22:47:33

Mine has never been particularly bad and it's still a massive pain in the arse, so I really feel for you. No advice I'm afraid, just sympathy.

BobbinThreadbare123 Sat 02-Sep-17 22:47:58

It's like all types of eczema; nobody knows why it comes on. Mine is hands and feet. Mometasone cream seems to sort it out, but the bastard always comes back.

littlemissneela Sat 02-Sep-17 22:58:07

Yup, I get this. Its started on my feet but now I get small ones on my hands. The ones on my feet tend to appear and swell up behind my toes or on the arch of my foot. They then tend to get quite sore as they are stretching the skin. They do get very itchy too. I use Betnovate ointment on them which can help. Ive always had eczema, but this developed much later in my life, say, in my 30's?

MonkeyPoozzled76 Sat 02-Sep-17 23:02:17

I feel your pain OP. I've had it in cycles for years worst on the palms of my hands but also soles of my feet, it's horrid. It's vaguely controlled by various steroid creams, but not very effectively. Best thing to minimise it for me was always using rubber gloves for any kind of washing/housework, avoiding nasty hand soap in public loos and gallons of Soap & Glory hand cream weirdly enough.

I'm currently having my longest clear spell since it all started. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and completely clear on both hands and feet, must be related but I have no idea why, not changed anything apart from taking folic acid and Vit D. Plenty of stress still too. Not very practical advice for you I know but you have my sympathy.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 02-Sep-17 23:04:03

I get it on my fingers if I use hand wash instead of soap. As long as I stick to bars of soap I'm fine. Timovate from the doctor clears it up in a matter of days.

bruffin Sat 02-Sep-17 23:04:37

You mean dishydrotic eczema, ive had it for years as well. When i had it on my handsit was hormonal and i would get it same time every month for a few days.
I have it on my feet and it is much worse in the summer.
I use eumovate because i dont need a prescription

bruffin Sat 02-Sep-17 23:05:52

Dyshidrotic

Schroedingerscatagain Sun 03-Sep-17 18:39:51

I was diagnosed with this in my teens, took till I was 42 and nearly dead for it to be correctly diagnosed as dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) a form of coeliac disease

Turned out my mother and grandmother who also had pompholyx were also undiagnosed coeliacs too

Gohackyourself Sun 03-Sep-17 22:30:24

That's interesting reading all, thanks for the sympathies too.
The potassium soloution I was prescribed once in my teens- think I'll visit pharmacist to get as my episode at the moment on feet is not shifting with my usual treatments.
My sister has been diagnosed coeliac and I do find I struggle with a lot of lactose etc maybe worth investigating ?

bruffin Mon 04-Sep-17 07:54:11

The best thing ive fiund to stop the itching is ibuprofen. 20 minutes after taking one the itch goes. My feet have been so much better since i started taking it as soon as i feel an itch .

Schroedingerscatagain Mon 04-Sep-17 09:02:20

Go hack

Please do get yourself checked your risk is greater with a sibling who is diagnosed

In our immediate family it runs very strong both my dc have since been diagnosed

Perhaps that's why yours isn't responding to treatment?

DelphiniumBlue Sat 11-Nov-17 16:44:04

I used to have this, but it disappeared. I think it was hormone related- started when I came off the pill, went when I was pregnant, came back after I finished breastfeeding, went again when I got pregnant again etc.
If it came back now I would be looking for hormone related solutions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: